Given that the demand for SUVs is at all-time high, it quickly becomes obvious why many companies have released more and more SUVs.
And in recent years, we have seen Nissan also jump into the trend. The vehicle in question is the Nissan Rogue. This SUV is one of the latest in Nissan’s line of SUVs.
Although the Nissan Rogue did receive high praise when it was initially released, the problem of the vehicle being unable to start up started to become evident over the years.
This is the case for almost any motor vehicle, whether or not it is an SUV. So, the problem that you are facing is leading you to the question, “Why won’t my Nissan Rogue start?”.
These below problems could be the source:
- Battery Issues
- Fuel/Fuel Pump Failure
- Alternator Issues
- Starter Motor Problems
- Broken Key Microchip
There is a lot that needs to be discussed for you to understand which of these could be the problem you are facing.
This is why it is recommended that you read the article until the end, as I have summarized all of these.
Table of Contents
- 1 What Would Cause A Nissan Rogue To Not Start?
- 1.1 1: Battery Problems
- 1.2 2: Fuel/Fuel Pump Failure
- 1.3 3: Alternator Issues
- 1.4 4: Starter Motor Problems
- 1.5 5: Broken Key Microchip
- 2 Frequently Asked Questions
- 2.1 Q1. Why Won’t My Nissan Rogue Start With New Battery?
- 2.2 Q2. Why Won’t My Nissan Rogue Start Even With A Jump?
- 2.3 Q3. Why Won’t My Nissan Rogue Start But Lights Work?
- 2.4 Q4. Why Won’t My Nissan Rogue Start But Cranks?
- 2.5 Q5. Why Won’t My Nissan Rogue Start Just Clicks?
- 2.6 Q6. Why Won’t My Nissan Rogue Start In The Cold Weather?
- 2.7 Q7. Why Won’t My Nissan Rogue Start After I Get Gas?
- 2.8 Q8. Why Won’t My Nissan Rogue Start But Radio Works?
- 3 Conclusion
What Would Cause A Nissan Rogue To Not Start?
Since for the problems like the engine cannot start up, you can check for the sources yourself.
However, unless you are a professional, I always recommend that you take the car to the shop and let the mechanic have a look.
This is because working on big bulky vehicles like SUVs requires specialized tools, without which you might even get hurt.
1: Battery Problems
One of the most important components of any motor vehicle is the battery. The battery is responsible for the electrical supply to all the other components that require electricity.
If the battery is not providing the right amount of power, the Nissan Rogue will be unable to start. The same is the case for the engine starting up.
The battery’s output can be lower than required. This is usually because the battery is low in charge.
There is a chance that the battery might be completely out of charge or completely dead if there is no output at all.
It is important to check the battery’s output after 4 to 5 years of using one, as that is the usual lifetime of a car battery.
What Should You Do About It?
- A voltage check is a way to go if you want to check if your battery is providing the right voltage. If it is lower than 12 volts, your battery needs to be charged externally.
- You can remove the battery from the car and take it to a battery shop. You can have the battery charged before reinstalling it into your Nissan Rogue.
- If you have a dead battery, the only option is to buy a new one. Be sure it is the right size and provides the perfect output for the Nissan Rogue.
- Broken batteries can even be exchanged for new ones at a discount. However, you will have to check if the shop you are buying from has this offer because not all shops do.
2: Fuel/Fuel Pump Failure
Fuel is the most basic requirement for any motor vehicle to even begin to work. For the engine to be able to start, it needs to have a steady flow of fuel at the right pressure.
The Nissan Rogue is no exception to this. So, if you are facing this start-up problem, you should check if it is fuel-related.
Firstly, there is a possibility that you just forgot to get your tank filled. If there is no fuel, to begin with, the car will not be able to start.
If there is fuel in the tank, there might be a blockage in the fuel filter. Incorrect or insufficient fuel pressure can also mean the fuel pump may have gone bad.
What Should You Do About It?
- If the fuel pump is messed up, you need to get it checked immediately, as there can be an extremely dangerous leakage.
- Check to see if it can be repaired or if you need a replacement for this component.
- Generally, repairs do not work well for too long, so it is best to get them replaced.
- Ensure that any blockages do not cause a pressure problem in the fuel filter. Those can be cleaned out.
- Lastly, if your Nissan Rogue is out of fuel, just get a refill, and you will be good to go.
3: Alternator Issues
Earlier in the article, I discussed the problem of the battery at low power.
I did not mention that this can be a symptom of an issue with the Nissan Rogue’s alternator. This is because the alternator is the component that is responsible for charging the battery.
The alternator works by converting the mechanical energy from the rotational motion to electrical energy. This is formed in the form of direct current.
The alternator’s job is to convert this to alternating current and provide the right electrical current to the right currents.
A problem with the alternator will inevitably lead to a halted vehicle.
What Should You Do About It?
- Your first step is to check whether the problem is related to the alternator. This is usually done by seeing how long the battery lasts after a jump start or a charge.
- Alternators can be repaired, and since the replacements are expensive, it is best to get them checked by a mechanic before making the decision.
- There have been cases where the problem is not with the alternator but with one or more of the other connected components.
- I would recommend that you do not take any chances if your alternator is an old one and make an investment in getting a replacement.
4: Starter Motor Problems
With pretty much all the sources above of the engine start-up problem, some alternative method allows you to start the car.
However, that is not the case when it comes to the starter motor of any vehicle.
If your starter motor develops any sort of problem, then you will have to get it fixed as soon as possible.
If not, you risk not being able to start up your car entirely. The same is the case with your Nissan Rogue.
Another thing worth mentioning is that this component is on the clock, metaphorically speaking.
This is because the lifespan of a starter motor is usually from 100000 miles up to a maximum of 150000 miles, meaning that it will break at some point.
This could likely be the issue. Alternatively, there is a chance that it developed a defect due to improper conditions.
What Should You Do About It?
- The starter motor is not a component that can be repaired, so you will have to get a replacement for it.
- Since this is a component that is connected to some of the most delicate components in the engine, you are advised not to try replacing it yourself.
- So have your car checked and repaired by a professional mechanic unless you are one yourself.
- Also, make sure that the replacement component is certified by Nissan, considering unauthorized parts do tend to conflict with the car’s software.
- Nissan has repair stores where you can get any replacement parts.
5: Broken Key Microchip
A lot of the new cars no longer have a usual ignition lock which is turned by the use of a key to allow the engine to turn on.
With everything shifting towards electric and automated, there are a lot of manufacturers who have implemented push buttons in their vehicles for the starting and stopping of the vehicle.
This is also the case for the Nissan Rogue. How it works is that instead of a traditional key, you have a key fob.
If this key fob is close enough to the car’s starting system, the vehicle will turn on with the press of a button.
Since this system is wireless, there are cases where the vehicle does not start even when the key fob is in an acceptable range.
The reason for this can be that the key fob ran out of battery or if the microchip is not working properly.
What Should You Do About It?
- Since the key fob is an electrical component that emits radio signals, make sure that it is not placed next to something that might be blocking those signals.
- If the key fob is low on battery, bringing it closer to the ignition button has been reported to have worked for some people.
- You can change the battery of the key fob too. The battery is easily accessible after removing the screws.
- If you are still facing the problem after changing the battery, my suggestion is to go to a Nissan store and have it replaced.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. Why Won’t My Nissan Rogue Start With New Battery?
New batteries can seem to be causing problems for a lot of people after they have them installed.
The reason for this is that the battery is not properly connected.
Make sure that the right wires are connected securely to the right battery terminals.
Q2. Why Won’t My Nissan Rogue Start Even With A Jump?
If your Nissan Rogue is not starting even after trying to jump start, then that means that your battery is not what is causing the issue here.
When this happens, you are not sure where the source of the problem is.
So it is best to seek professional guidance to see whether the problem is an electrical, mechanical, or fuel-related one.
Q3. Why Won’t My Nissan Rogue Start But Lights Work?
As mentioned before, all components in a vehicle require different amounts of power for them to function properly. They require much less power to work than the ignition system.
This means that if your lights are working but your Nissan Rogue’s engine is not getting started, your car’s battery is low on charge.
Q4. Why Won’t My Nissan Rogue Start But Cranks?
Cranking is a good sign when it comes to troubleshooting the source of the problem. A Nissan Rogue being able to crank means that the electrical system of the vehicle is fine.
This means that the problem is located somewhere in the mechanical system of the Rogue, which is much easier to identify.
Q5. Why Won’t My Nissan Rogue Start Just Clicks?
In contrast to the previous problem, clicking when trying to start your Nissan Rogue is a bad sign.
This is because this is an indication that the problem lies somewhere in the electrical system of the vehicle.
It is, hence, important to have a professional run their diagnostics as problems located in the electrical system are very difficult to pinpoint.
Q6. Why Won’t My Nissan Rogue Start In The Cold Weather?
Low temperatures are, a lot of the time, responsible for batteries going bad. This is because cold weather can limit the efficiency of reactions in the battery.
Another reason why your Nissan Rogue would be unable to start in cold weather is that oil can freeze in the engine and prevent components like spark plugs from working.
Q7. Why Won’t My Nissan Rogue Start After I Get Gas?
As mentioned before, there needs to be the right amount of pressure fuel for the engine to start.
If there is not enough fuel or if there is a blockage, then there will be a lack of pressure for the engine.
If you are sure that is not the case, then I would suggest that you get the fuel pump checked.
Q8. Why Won’t My Nissan Rogue Start But Radio Works?
I explained this briefly in another question as well that different component requires different amounts of electrical power to work.
If the radio is working and your Nissan Rogue still does not start, then your battery is low on charge.
The Nissan Rogue is Nissan’s most successful crossover SUV. Yet since it has been a few years since the release of the debut model, people have started to face the problems.
And as I have explained throughout this article, the most common one has been the one that makes people say, “Why won’t my Nissan Rogue start?”.
Hopefully, by now, you should be able to identify the source of the problem and get the answer to your question.
There is still a chance that there could be some problems other than the ones that I have mentioned in this article. You make sure you visit a mechanic.
I am Tahir Azam, and I have been writing amazing articles for TaxiHack for as long as I can remember. I know everything that is to know when it comes to automobiles and is always on top of industry news and developments. While I am not an expert by any means, I pride myself on knowing the ins and outs of many different problems and, of course, their solutions. The articles on our website are some of the best and well-researched content that you will find, and I spend countless hours making sure this remains to be true. This is why I ask you to take your time out and read some of my articles, especially if you find a topic that resonates with you or is something you are looking into. This way, you will find the perfect mix of information and tips on your desired topic. Learn more about Tahir.