Nissan Murano is a mid-size crossover SUV. It was first introduced in 2003. The one has been in production since then, currently in its third generation.
The Nissan Murano has been sought after by all those who want to go on adventures without worrying about compromising on anything.
Have you ever had a problem with your SUV that left you wondering if it’s normal?
Maybe the battery died, and now you’re not sure if your vehicle has a faulty battery or if it’s something else.
Maybe you’ve never had this problem before, and it’s an issue that seems to have come out of nowhere.
You may have even asked yourself, “Why won’t my Nissan Murano start?”. Well, this is a problem experienced by many users.
Let’s see the possible causes:
- Blown Fuse
- Faulty Spark Plugs
- Corrosion On The Battery Terminals
- Faulty Fuel Pump
- Clogged Fuel Filter
You might be thinking that these problems don’t look too major. I agree, but still, you should not overlook them.
If you want to get your SUV going with as little expense as possible, I would suggest reading through this article.
Table of Contents
- 1 What Would Cause A Nissan Murano To Not Start?
- 1.1 1: Blown Fuse
- 1.2 2: Faulty Spark Plugs
- 1.3 3: Corrosion On The Battery Terminals
- 1.4 4: Faulty Fuel Pump
- 1.5 5: Clogged Fuel Filter
- 2 Frequently Asked Questions
- 2.1 Q1. Why Won’t My Nissan Murano Start With New Battery?
- 2.2 Q2. Why Won’t My Nissan Murano Start Even With A Jump?
- 2.3 Q3. Why Won’t My Nissan Murano Start But Lights Work?
- 2.4 Q4. Why Won’t My Nissan Murano Start But Cranks?
- 2.5 Q5. Why Won’t My Nissan Murano Start Just Clicks?
- 2.6 Q6. Why Won’t My Nissan Murano Start In The Cold Weather?
- 2.7 Q7. Why Won’t My Nissan Murano Start After I Get Gas?
- 2.8 Q8. Why Won’t My Nissan Murano Start But Radio Works?
- 3 Conclusion
What Would Cause A Nissan Murano To Not Start?
You might be confused and frustrated about why your Nissan Murano is not working.
I have been there and can tell you that frustration will not get you anywhere.
You should sit down and read this section to figure out exactly what is wrong with your SUV.
1: Blown Fuse
Blown fuses happen to the best of vehicles, and they can be frustrating when they happen at the worst possible time (like when you’re on your way to pick up your kids from school).
A fuse can blow on the Nissan Murano if there is an electrical imbalance in the system or if there simply is a short circuit.
Regardless, the fuse may have blown to protect that specific part of the electrical system.
You can check if a fuse has blown by shining a flashlight through it. If the thin wire is broken, then you have your answer.
It could be a one-time thing or could be a serious underlying issue. Read below to see the available options to fix this issue.
What Should You Do About It?
- Before you start throwing things around and calling your mechanic or tow truck, I have some tips for dealing with that blown fuse and getting back on the road in no time.
- If you have a blown fuse, you’ll want to check all of the fuses in your SUV. If one has blown, then you’ll need to do it.
- Make sure that any new fuse has the same amperage as the old one, so it won’t blow as soon as your start your engine.
- While you are at it, it is also recommended that you check all other fuses present in the fuse box too. It won’t be too much of a hassle and will not take too much time.
2: Faulty Spark Plugs
One of the most common reasons is faulty spark plugs when it comes to starting failure.
Spark plugs are responsible for igniting fuel in your engine, so if they’re not working properly, you won’t get much power out of your Nissan Murano.
When they’re working properly, they should emit sparks with a small voltage when the ignition is turned on.
Moreover, if that voltage isn’t produced in one, then the specific plug is not working as intended.
You can identify a problem with your spark plugs by listening for a cranking sound produced whenever you try turning the key in the ignition.
If you hear it, you may need to read the solution to the problem below.
What Should You Do About It?
- You can do a few things if you’re having trouble with the spark plugs on your Nissan Murano.
- First, try to replace all plugs at once instead of just one. This will save you time and effort in the long run. Plus, a pack of spark plugs is cheaper than buying them individually.
- Another important thing to note is that you should use high-quality spark plugs, such as iridium or platinum.
- These will last longer than other spark plugs and have less wear and tear on them—making them more reliable in colder climates and more likely to prevent misfires.
3: Corrosion On The Battery Terminals
The metal post that attaches to the battery terminal of your Nissan Murano can become corroded because of several reasons.
This makes it difficult for the SUV to receive enough power for its electrical systems to operate properly. Corrosion can occur when there is dirt or grime buildup on the battery terminal.
When you have been driving through muddy areas or sandy areas, this can cause corrosion on your SUV’s battery terminals.
It can also occur due to condensation of the gases released by the battery during its operation.
This is common and is only found on traditional lead-acid batteries, as they do not have a sealed design.
What Should You Do About It?
- You may have noticed corrosion on the battery terminals. If this happens, it’s important to take action as soon as possible.
- The first step is to pour vinegar and baking soda solution over the corrosion and let it rest for a few hours.
- Then you can use a toothbrush or wire brush to break it up and remove it.
- There is a chance that the corrosion on the terminals is too strong to be removed in one go.
- So, you might have to repeat this process another time.
- After this is done, you can try to start your vehicle’s engine. If that does not work, you may need to replace the battery.
4: Faulty Fuel Pump
The fuel pump is responsible for delivering fuel from the tank to the engine so it can ignite and run. If this part is faulty, you will not be able to start your Nissan Murano.
If you suspect that your fuel pump is causing problems with starting, do not hesitate to have it checked out by a professional technician.
They will be able to determine whether or not it is faulty or if it is just a fuse. It may very well be a minor case that you may be able to fix.
But before you do that, I suggest you read the possible solution options below.
What Should You Do About It?
- You might notice a decrease in acceleration or a rough idle when fuel fails to reach the engine.
- If you’re experiencing any of these symptoms, it’s important to replace the faulty fuel pump immediately—particularly if your vehicle has been exhibiting these symptoms for quite some time.
- Before replacing your Nissan Murano’s fuel pump, check whether the new one matches the one replaced by comparing them and reading any serial number.
- The replacement process itself is simple. I would still recommend getting this job done through a professional.
5: Clogged Fuel Filter
There might be a reason that has nothing to do with the battery or the spark plugs if you are facing some starting problems.
Your fuel filter could be clogged, and that’s why it’s not starting. When your fuel filter gets clogged, it can cause problems with your SUV’s performance.
One of these problems is that it will take longer for your Nissan Murano to start up. The other problem is, it could cause your vehicle to stall when driving or accelerating.
This is pretty dangerous and much more concerning than a simple starting issue. The engine could produce a cranking sound if the filter prevents fuel from going through.
What Should You Do About It?
- If you have ever driven through areas where the gas stations don’t have the clean fuel, this is something you will encounter a lot.
- The fuel filter sits between the fuel pump and the engine itself, and its job is to keep contaminants out of your vehicle’s fuel system.
- The filter prevents this from getting into your engine, ensuring that only clean fuel reaches it.
- It will not work for a lifetime, and you must deploy measures to fix the issue.
- When it comes time to fix your fuel filter, there are two options: You can either replace or clean it.
- Replacing your filter is recommended because cleaning it could damage and let contaminants through.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. Why Won’t My Nissan Murano Start With New Battery?
It’s possible that your new battery was sitting on a shelf and has drained.
Try charging it; if that doesn’t work, you may have to replace the battery.
Before you jump to conclusions and consider the latter, do try charging the battery.
It is unlikely that it is faulty.
Q2. Why Won’t My Nissan Murano Start Even With A Jump?
If you can’t get your Nissan Murano to start with a jump, check the cables to ensure they’re not frayed or in good condition. It could also be your faulty starter motor.
Start by observing the cables and then move on to the starter motor. Replace the faulty part as soon as possible.
Q3. Why Won’t My Nissan Murano Start But Lights Work?
A fuse could have blown. Check all of them to make sure none have been tripped accidentally by something. You should also check the ignition system.
Q4. Why Won’t My Nissan Murano Start But Cranks?
If you Nissan Murano is not working but only cranks then you may have a faulty fuel pump or failing spark plugs.
The fuel pump is responsible for delivering the right amount of fuel to the engine, and spark plugs are responsible for igniting the fuel to power the SUV.
If either does not work, you may have to replace it.
Q5. Why Won’t My Nissan Murano Start Just Clicks?
If your Nissan Murano clicks, then there may be a blown fuse or a faulty starter motor.
You can check for this by trying to start your SUV again after you replace the fuse or starter motor.
If it still doesn’t turn over, then there could be an electrical issue that needs to be addressed.
Q6. Why Won’t My Nissan Murano Start In The Cold Weather?
You may have old spark plugs that aren’t designed for cold weather conditions and thus aren’t providing enough power.
Another possible cause is that your battery doesn’t have enough CCA (Cold Cranking Amps), which are needed when starting up in cold weather conditions.
Q7. Why Won’t My Nissan Murano Start After I Get Gas?
If your Nissan Murano doesn’t turn over after you recently got gas, the problem may be with the fuel pump or fuel filter.
Both are easy to replace—just check your owner’s manual to see how. But before you do that, you need to narrow down to confirm which one of the parts is the source of the problem.
Q8. Why Won’t My Nissan Murano Start But Radio Works?
If you can get your radio to work, but your SUV isn’t starting, it’s likely a battery issue.
If the battery is too low on charge, it won’t be able to power the starter motor. A drained battery may power up the radio, as it does not require too many watts.
If you’re having trouble getting your SUV to start, don’t panic!
I have compiled all the information you need, so you can get back on the road in no time and stop wondering, why won’t my Nissan Murano start?
You need to start from the battery and then move on to other major parts of the vehicle’s starting system.
If you cannot figure this out and your Murano still not working, bring it to a mechanic for a more thorough examination.
There may be something more serious going on that I haven’t mentioned!
I am Tahir Azam, and I have been writing amazing articles for TaxiHack for as long as I can remember. I know everything that is to know when it comes to automobiles and is always on top of industry news and developments. While I am not an expert by any means, I pride myself on knowing the ins and outs of many different problems and, of course, their solutions. The articles on our website are some of the best and well-researched content that you will find, and I spend countless hours making sure this remains to be true. This is why I ask you to take your time out and read some of my articles, especially if you find a topic that resonates with you or is something you are looking into. This way, you will find the perfect mix of information and tips on your desired topic. Learn more about Tahir.