The Jeep Gladiator is a beefy vehicle. It features a 3.6L V6 engine capable of outputting 285 HP, which is plenty of power for most people.
It can be bought with a four-wheel-drive option, which gives a 10 inches ground clearance, perfect for people who like to go off-roading.
Although the Gladiator has been tried and tested by thousands of people, one question still asked by prospective buyers is, how long do Jeep Gladiators last?
The expected lifespan of this truck is 200,000 miles, which is not impressive but is more than enough for it to last for more than a decade.
So I hope you got the answer you were looking for.
If you stick around till the end of this article, you will find much more information regarding the Jeep Gladiator than you might be expecting.
From reliability to comparing it with its top competitors, this will be a fun article. Let’s get started!
Table of Contents
- 1 What Is The Average Life Expectancy Of A Jeep Gladiator?
- 2 Does Jeep Gladiator Last Longer Than Other Similar Vehicles?
- 3 Life Expectancy Of Jeep Gladiator Car Parts
- 4 What Is Good Mileage For A Used Jeep Gladiator?
- 5 How To Increase How Long Your Jeep Gladiator Last
- 6 Problems That Limit The Life Of Your Jeep Gladiator
- 7 What To Look For When Buying A Jeep Gladiator
- 8 Frequently Asked Questions
- 9 Conclusion
What Is The Average Life Expectancy Of A Jeep Gladiator?
The introduction gave you an answer to the question you clicked on the link for, and it also gave you an idea of what you may find if you scroll further.
The best way to start this article off is to discuss the longevity of the Jeep Gladiator once again.
The 200000-mile limit may have disappointed some people, given that the truck looks like it can last through thick and thin. I don’t know about you, but I would be more than content with that.
If you are an average American driver and drive your vehicle for 15000 miles on an annual basis, then the truck will be able to give you roughly 13 years of service life.
This 200000-mile number can be influenced by various factors, which will be discussed further down in this article. So, I suggest that you stick around.
Does Jeep Gladiator Last Longer Than Other Similar Vehicles?
Without wasting any time, I will be putting the Jeep Gladiator against three of its top competitors.
This will tell you how good it is and if it is worth considering over what other manufacturers are offering.
Reliability, lifespan, and the number of complaints are the three factors discussed in this section.
1. Jeep Gladiator Vs. Ford Ranger
Although the Jeep Gladiator came more than two decades earlier than the Ford Ranger on the market, it was discontinued soon after.
The competitor quickly rose through the ranks to give the Jeep a proper challenge. Let’s compare the latest and greatest models to see which one pulls ahead.
- Over 40 years, the Ford Ranger has gathered 816 complaints, which is pretty decent.
- On the other hand, the Jeep Gladiator cannot be compared as it was out of commission for a long time.
- So, the number of complaints about both of these trucks cannot be used to assess which one is better.
- Well if we talk about reliability, the Jeep Gladiator has scored a very impressive 80 out of 100.
- But the Ford Ranger defeats it and has earned an 83, which makes it more reliable but not by a huge margin. So, it can be concluded that the Ranger is more reliable than the Jeep Gladiator.
- The Ford Ranger demolishes the Jeep Gladiator once again. It has an expected lifespan of 200000 to 250000 miles, which puts it ahead of the Gladiator by a comparable difference.
- It can last three years more, which is something people might appreciate in the long run.
So finally the Ford Ranger is reliable, but it also has a longer-lasting design. It beats the Jeep Gladiator at every turn as far as reliability and longevity are concerned.
So, choosing between the two should not even be a question. The Ranger is the way to go.
2. Jeep Gladiator Vs. Nissan Frontier
Although it may not look as attractive as the Jeep Gladiator, there is no denying that the Nissan Frontier is a solid pickup truck.
It provides ample cargo space and is loved by consumers. Let’s see if it can match its competition.
- Once again, a proper comparison of the Jeep Gladiator with the Nissan Frontier cannot be made in this first round because Jeep’s offering was recently rereleased in the market.
- But you can have a rough idea of the experience of the Nissan Frontier by knowing that it has a total of 1000 complaints, which is decent but not that great.
- According to JDPower, the Nissan Frontier has scored a very decent 77 out of a 100. It cannot beat the 80 that the Jeep Gladiator earned.
- The difference is not that much, but it is enough to assess that the Jeep Gladiator is more reliable than the Nissan Frontier.
- The lifespan of both of these trucks is 200000 miles, which means both of them are equally as good in this round.
- So, if this is the factor that will finalize your choice, there is no clear winner over here.
This was a tough fight, but the Jeep Gladiator pulled out ahead in this competition. It is the winner, although not by a huge margin.
Although you can choose anyone and not regret your decision, my recommendation will be the Gladiator, due to it being more reliable.
3. Jeep Gladiator Vs. Toyota Tacoma
The next truck that will be compared with the Jeep Gladiator is perhaps the most popular one on this list. The Tacoma from Toyota is another solid track.
It is a great buy but let’s see if it can defeat the Gladiator to earn the top spot.
- Once again, the first round will not be counted. The Toyota Tacoma has been around for quite some time, and it has managed to gather a total of 1064 complaints only, which is pretty decent. This is on par with what the Nissan Frontier achieved.
- The next thing that will be compared between these pickup trucks is reliability.
- The Toyota Tacoma turns out to be a more reliable vehicle than the Jeep Gladiator. It has scored a very decent 82 out of a 100, taking a two-point lead.
- The Toyota Tacoma leaves the Jeep Gladiator in the dust in this final round. With this pickup truck, the average people have achieved 300,000 miles, which is in another league.
- This also translates to a difference of more than six years, which is considerable.
Although the Jeep Gladiator is a reliable pickup truck, there is no denying that the Toyota Tacoma is better.
It can last a lot longer and is more reliable. It is a competitor of the Jeep but is on a whole other level.
Related: How Long Does A Toyota Tacoma Last?
Life Expectancy Of Jeep Gladiator Car Parts
This is an interesting section. I mentioned that many factors could affect the longevity of the Jeep Gladiator.
Well, these are some of the main ones. I will be discussing just how good the hardware on the Gladiator is.
Average Lifespan Of Jeep Gladiator Brake Pads
The brake pads on the Jeep Gladiator are simple, and don’t try anything new.
That is a good thing because the current generation of brake pads can last up to 70000 miles, with the minimum being around 30000.
Well, the pads on the Jeep have the same life expectancy.
The only thing you should be concerned about is the difference between the minimum and maximum lifespan of the Gladiator. This is dependent on driving habits.
If you apply the brakes only when needed, you can expect mileage close to the 30000-mile mark.
If you do the opposite and drive safely, then the life expectancy of the brake pads will increase.
Average Lifespan Of Jeep Gladiator Battery
The next thing we will be discussing is the battery on this one. This one is another part that does not have anything new or unique present.
It is a normal lead-acid battery with a maximum lifespan of 5 years. Five years means 75000 miles of service life, which is good if you ask me.
Now, you may wonder what about the lower bound of the number mentioned above.
Some people need to change the battery after three years, but that is when they use it in extreme environments.
This is why it is recommended to opt for AGM batteries as replacements, as they are better suited for extreme conditions.
Average Lifespan Of Jeep Gladiator Tires
The tires on the Jeep Gladiator are pretty good. As the truck has been designed to handle all sorts of terrains, so are the stock tires.
So, you can rest assured that they will last you for at least three years of 45000 miles. The average is around 50000, which is pretty good if you ask me.
Replacement tires come to have a different story. Not all of them are good. Some are so poor that they cannot even be driven for 10000 miles.
So, you should not save money while buying replacement tires for your Jeep Gladiator.
If you drive in varying terrains or through different weather conditions, specialized tires are the way to go.
Average Lifespan Of Jeep Gladiator Transmission
This is a thing I am repeating in all of the articles. The current stage of the transmission technology does not allow them to last for more than 180000 miles.
This is the limit for the Jeep Gladiator too. The lower range can be as low as 130000 miles. You need to know this, especially if you are buying a used one.
Like any other vehicle, transmission repair and replacement costs are pretty high. You can expect the fixes to be in the thousands of dollars range.
So, a repair like this one should be expected during the lifespan of this truck.
Average Lifespan Of Jeep Gladiator Spark Plugs
Although Jeep is not known to cut costs in terms of the hardware of its vehicles, it sure does seem that way with the spark plugs that come preinstalled in the Jeep Gladiator.
The ones present have an expected lifespan of 30000 to 40000 miles.
If you are familiar with spark plugs at all, you may already be aware that this range is possible with silver or copper plugs. They are the lowest quality ones that can be found.
If you are looking for replacement plugs for the Gladiator, you should only consider purchasing iridium or platinum ones.
They are a bit expensive, but the longer lifespan you are getting is worth it.
Average Lifespan Of Jeep Gladiator Key Fob
I conducted proper research but could not find any complaints regarding the key fob.
This means it is as good as the ones provided by all other vehicle manufacturers. The fob will not die on you under mysterious circumstances.
The battery will need to be replaced once every four years, but that is not a serious issue. What is serious is the fact that a replacement fob for the Jeep Gladiator costs a lot.
So, you must make sure that you keep yours safe at all times.
What Is Good Mileage For A Used Jeep Gladiator?
If you are serious about buying a used Jeep Gladiator, my recommendation is that you opt for a new one rather than a used one.
The main reason is that it has a lifespan of 200000 miles before which there is a high chance of the transmission failing.
So, even if you are considering buying one that has been driven, you should not get one that has more than 80000 miles on the odometer.
How To Increase How Long Your Jeep Gladiator Last
Despite its unique look, the Jeep Gladiator is a traditional gasoline-run vehicle. Under the hood is a 3.6L V6 Pentastar engine which is amazing.
Several steps can be taken to increase its lifespan:
- Keep the vehicle maintained and change fluids at the right time.
- Make sure there are no major faults present.
- Tires should be rotated every 5000 miles.
- Improve your driving habits.
- Use high-quality replacement hardware.
These are some of the tips which will help users in making sure that their Jeep Gladiator can touch that sweet 200,000-mile mark.
Problems That Limit The Life Of Your Jeep Gladiator
Although the Jeep Gladiator has proven itself to be a pretty reliable pickup truck, there is no denying that it has some faults which need to be known by prospective buyers, such as you, before you finalize your purchase.
Well, the most common ones are:
- Steering becomes difficult.
- Leaking transmission fluid.
- Electrical glitches.
The first two problems are extremely serious because they can result in injury or even death. Although they are pretty rare, there still is a chance of these issues happening.
What To Look For When Buying A Jeep Gladiator
If you are still adamant about buying a Jeep Gladiator that has been used, then you must take into account some factors which should help you assess if the truck is worth buying or not.
- Check mileage (should not be more than 80000 miles).
- Make sure to check the transmission and engine properly.
- It’s complete history – list of owners etc.
- Check for maintenance records.
- Make sure the vehicle has had proper maintenance.
- The truck should not have any steering issues.
These are some of the important checks that must be made to ensure that there the truck you are looking to get should be bought or not.
The first thing to check is mileage. If it has even crossed the 100000-mile mark, I suggest that you search for another one.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. Is The Jeep Gladiator A Reliable Truck?
The Jeep Gladiator has proven itself to be a pretty reliable truck.
According to JDPower, it has a score of 80 out of 100, which is pretty decent. This means the experience of owning this truck will be great.
Q2. Does Jeep Gladiator Have A Lot Of Problems?
No, it does not. Apart from minor issues which can pop up on any vehicle, there are three major issues on this truck:
- Loss of control of the steering wheel.
- Transmission fluid catches fire.
- Electrical glitches.
These are serious issues and should be addressed as soon as you suspect something.
Q3. Is It A Good Idea To Buy A Used Jeep Gladiator?
I personally don’t recommend buying a used Jeep Gladiator. The main reason is that it has a shorter than usual lifespan, and the transmission can fail early on too.
So, it is not worth it to buy a truck that is close to the end of its lifespan or one that may soon need major repairs.
Q4. Does Jeep Gladiator Rust Easily?
There have not been any reports of rusting in the Jeep Gladiator.
Yes, people have complained of some brown spots appearing on welding joints, but they do not increase, and they certainly will not affect the lifespan of the truck.
Q5. Is Jeep Gladiator Expensive To Maintain?
This one has been designed to last for more than a decade, so I will be providing you with a figure that has been taken for that year range.
You can expect the maintenance cost of the Jeep Gladiator for the first decade to be $11803. This is pretty steep and is $1738 more than the industry average.
The Jeep Gladiator is a great truck, but it is not without its flaws. It has solid performance and has been designed for usage on all terrains.
People have bought and loved it, despite the fact that most trucks in the same class can last longer.
I hope that this article gave you the answer to the question of, how long do Jeep Gladiators last? You also found out about its reliability.
I know you didn’t ask for it, but I can assure you that you will certainly benefit from this read in the long run.
If you do decide to purchase this amazing truck, you are going to have a memorable experience.
I am Tahir Azam, and I have been writing amazing articles for TaxiHack for as long as I can remember. I know everything that is to know when it comes to automobiles and is always on top of industry news and developments. While I am not an expert by any means, I pride myself on knowing the ins and outs of many different problems and, of course, their solutions. The articles on our website are some of the best and well-researched content that you will find, and I spend countless hours making sure this remains to be true. This is why I ask you to take your time out and read some of my articles, especially if you find a topic that resonates with you or is something you are looking into. This way, you will find the perfect mix of information and tips on your desired topic. Learn more about Tahir.