Did you know that the Ford Ranger was discontinued for a couple of years after two decades? 2012 was the year when Ford decided to stop making it.
They changed that decision and released this truck again in 2018, with it having a huge fanbase as expected.
Whether it be one of the old models or a new one. The question of how long do Ford Rangers last is still commonly asked.
Well, I have some great news for you. This truck has been designed to go a long way, with its life expectancy being 300000 miles. This is better than many other trucks out there.
This article still has a long way to go. If you decide to stick around, you will find information scattered throughout the internet.
I will be discussing the reliability and the longevity of the Ford Ranger, which will help you get a better idea of whether it is worth it. So, without any further ado, let’s get straight into it.
Table of Contents
- 1 What Is The Average Life Expectancy Of A Ford Ranger?
- 2 Does Ford Ranger Last Longer Than Other Similar Vehicles?
- 3 Life Expectancy Of Ford Ranger Car Parts
- 4 What Is Good Mileage For A Used Ford Ranger?
- 5 How To Increase How Long Your Ford Ranger Last
- 6 Problems That Limit The Life Of Your Ford Ranger
- 7 What To Look For When Buying A Ford Ranger
- 8 Frequently Asked Questions
- 9 Conclusion
What Is The Average Life Expectancy Of A Ford Ranger?
As the introduction mentioned, the Ford Ranger can be driven for up to 300000 miles.
If you are an average American driver who drives their vehicles for 15000 miles annually, this truck will last you for 20 whole years!
This is pretty good because trucks out there cannot even break the 200000-mile barrier.
20 years is a lot, but many factors can affect this number. The quality of hardware that is being used is certainly one of them.
Further down in this article, you will find a detailed discussion regarding the lifespan of the hardware that is present in the Ford Ranger.
So, I would recommend sticking around, especially if you are serious about buying this truck.
Does Ford Ranger Last Longer Than Other Similar Vehicles?
The true place of the Ford Ranger and its reliability cannot be found until it has been put through a series of tests.
The tests that will be conducted here today are mainly reliability and longevity. They will help determine if competitors’ offerings are better or not.
1. Ford Ranger Vs. Chevrolet Colorado
Chevy Colorado is another truck that has been discontinued once during its lifespan.
The year was the same as the Ford Ranger, with production halting in 2012. But instead of waiting six years, Chevy reintroduced its truck in 2014.
Let’s see if it can beat the Ford Ranger.
- The Ford Ranger has been in the market for more than two decades. It has managed to gather 816 complaints, which is pretty good if you ask me.
- The Chevrolet Colorado, which was revealed much later, has 790. So, you can see that Chevy’s offering has gathered almost the same number of complaints in a shorter period.
- Chevy Colorado has managed to earn a very impressive 81 out of 100 in terms of reliability.
- This is pretty good, but it is overtaken by the 83 that the Ford Ranger was able to earn. Although the difference is not huge, it is enough to award the Ranger the win.
- Chevy Colorado has an expected lifespan of 250000 to 300000 miles, which is on par with what the Ford Ranger can achieve.
- This is one of the best ranges you can get with trucks. So, if this is the deciding factor for you to choose between the two, I can safely say that you can’t go wrong with either one.
Make no mistake. The Chevrolet Colorado is a solid truck. But it just cannot keep up with the Ford Ranger.
The Ranger is more reliable and has gathered roughly the same number of complaints in a longer amount of time. This makes it a clear winner.
2. Ford Ranger Vs. Toyota Tacoma
The next pickup truck compared with the Ford Ranger is the Toyota Tacoma. Toyota’s offering is solid and is loved by thousands of people.
Let’s see if it is as reliable.
- Toyota Tacoma is one of the most complained about Toyota’s vehicles. In its tenure, it has managed to gather 1064 complaints, which is not bad.
- But the Ford Ranger defeats that number with its total number of complaints being 816.
- The Toyota Tacoma came very close to the Ford Ranger but could not defeat it. It has managed to get a very impressive 82 out of a 100, which is only a point lesser than the Ranger earned.
- The difference is minimal, and although the Ford Ranger won, reliability is something both trucks are almost equal in.
- The Toyota Tacoma has a life expectancy of 300000 miles, which is just as good as the Ford Ranger.
- It can provide you with a service life of up to 20 years, more than enough for most people.
The Toyota Tacoma is yet another truck that comes close to toppling the Ford Ranger from its top position but cannot.
Although the Ranger won this competition, you can choose Tacoma and will certainly not regret your decision.
3. Ford Ranger Vs. Nissan Frontier
The final truck that has made its way onto this list is the Nissan Frontier. This is another highly regarded pickup truck bought and loved by thousands of people.
It is reliable but let’s see if it can defeat the Ford Ranger.
- The Nissan Frontier has 1000 complaints, which is not bad, considering it was released in 1997. This is not as good as the 816 the Ford Ranger earned, but it is not too far off.
- This means the experience of owning both of these trucks will be mostly positive.
- Reliability is something in which the Nissan Frontier is not particularly great. It cannot match or even get close to the 83 which the Ford Ranger got.
- It has earned a 77, which is decent and respectable. But the Nissan Frontier takes an easy and a huge lead in this round.
- The Nissan Frontier has been designed to travel for a maximum of 200000 miles. This is not that impressive and is actually on the lower end of the spectrum for pickup trucks.
- The Ford Ranger, in comparison, can touch 300000 miles, which is a huge difference.
Although the Nissan Frontier is a good truck, it cannot be compared to the Ford Ranger. Ford’s offering is in a league of its own, which makes the Nissan look pale in comparison.
Life Expectancy Of Ford Ranger Car Parts
This is a section I am sure many of you are waiting for. Although the Ford Ranger looks great on paper and in the flesh, what happens behind the scenes?
This section will be trying to answer that by discussing the lifespan of some of its major components.
Average Lifespan Of Ford Ranger Brake Pads
The brake pads on the Ford Ranger don’t have anything special. Normally, that does not mean anything good, but here it is.
Brake pads have not had a proper innovation in quite some time. This limits most of them to a maximum of 70000-mile lifespan.
The ones used on the Ford Ranger have the same expectancy too. Seventy thousand miles is pretty good, and they will last for a few years.
The lower range, however, is 30000 miles. Yes, this is for the same brake pad. Well, this is mainly due to driving habits. Sudden braking can result in the number dropping dramatically.
Average Lifespan Of Ford Ranger Battery
Whether it be the newer models of the Ford Ranger or the older ones, all of them use the same conventional lead-acid battery.
Once again, that is a great thing. These batteries have three to five years, which is fantastic because replacements do not cost a lot.
The battery on the Ford Ranger can be affected by various factors, such as temperature and vibrations.
So, it is recommended to shift to AGM batteries, which are more resistant to such factors.
They also don’t require any maintenance, which is another huge advantage. They are great for people who go off-roading frequently.
Average Lifespan Of Ford Ranger Tires
The tires that are present on the Ford Ranger are pretty good. They can be driven for as long as 50000 miles.
There even have been cases of users pushing the 60000-mile mark with them. This is pretty good and is as good as OEM tires get.
When it comes to buying new tires for your Ford Ranger, there are many options out there. From cheap ones to specialized ones, all types of tires are present on the market.
You should never opt for the cheap ones. They tend to fail at the 10000-mile mark, which is something no one wants.
Average Lifespan Of Ford Ranger Transmission
The transmission will fail once during the lifespan of the truck. It has a lifespan of 130000 to 180000 miles, which will fail.
Regardless of how much you care for your Ford Ranger’s engine, this repair or replacement will come. This is the case with all vehicles, and Ford’s vehicles are no exception.
To maximize the transmission lifespan, you can make sure the transmission fluid is changed on time. That is not all.
You should also make sure not to overwork the vehicle. This is also a common reason for premature transmission failure in the Ford Ranger.
Average Lifespan Of Ford Ranger Spark Plugs
Ford uses Motorcraft’s spark plugs. Their products are pretty good and are owned by Ford itself. This is disappointing because they can easily use high-quality plugs but don’t.
The expected lifespan of the spark plugs of the Ford Ranger is around 30000 miles, which means it is a copper or a silver one.
Like with the tires, there are many spark plug options out there. The best ones are iridium or platinum, which can last for 100000 miles and 60000 miles, respectively.
So, if you are looking for replacements, these two should be your only considerations.
You should also change all of the spark plugs of the Ford Ranger at the same time to ensure consistent performance.
Average Lifespan Of Ford Ranger Key Fob
I knew the answer to this one even before I researched it.
Don’t worry! I did conduct proper research just to answer that there is nothing wrong with the key fob present in the Ford Ranger.
It can last through thick and thin and will not fail you. There have been no cases of this happening, even isolated one.
The official recommendation for changing the battery is one year. But batteries in key fob last for at least three years.
This is amazing because a new battery costs a few dollars only. There is nothing to worry about with the key fob that comes with your Ford Ranger.
What Is Good Mileage For A Used Ford Ranger?
The Ford Ranger is a truck that I would recommend buying in used condition.
As it can go for such a long duration, you can buy one with a maximum of 200000 miles on the odometer.
This is beneficial because you don’t have to spend a lot of money on a new truck.
I can assure you that you will find plenty of options. Used Ford Rangers may have issues or may have been in accidents.
A section further down in this article will help enlighten you with some of the main things that must be checked before buying a used Ford Ranger. It is an important read.
How To Increase How Long Your Ford Ranger Last
The Ford Ranger runs on a normal gasoline engine. This means many steps can be taken to increase its lifespan, so you can reach that sweet 300000-mile mark.
Some of the things that one can do are:
- Change all fluids in a timely fashion.
- Make sure the exhaust and the filters are not choked.
- Do not let any issue remain as is.
- Use high-quality parts when repairing or replacing.
- Use specialized tires for unusual environments.
- Rotate the tires.
These things are important because they can ensure the vehicle can remain in excellent condition over the years.
Problems That Limit The Life Of Your Ford Ranger
Although it has scored a very high 83/100, there are some issues with the Ford Ranger that you should be aware of in terms of reliability.
They can impact the lifespan and even the usability of the truck. So, you should not skip over this section:
- Faulty torque converter.
- Transmission issues.
- Engine misfires.
- Failing ignition coils.
- ECM fault.
Although these issues are fixable, there is no doubt that they can result in serious accidents.
They also have a low chance of occurrence, so they should not deter you from buying this amazing truck.
Related: Ford Ranger Starting Problems
What To Look For When Buying A Ford Ranger
If you are in the market for a used Ford Ranger, there are many things to check before confirming your purchase.
This is a short list, but some of the essential things to confirm:
- Check ownership history.
- Make sure the truck has not been in any major accidents.
- Check repair history.
- Ask for maintenance records.
- Reason for selling.
- Condition of the engine.
These are some of the many things to check. If the truck is in the clear, then the owner should not have any issues providing you with everything you need.
If they do not, then you should not consider the truck. There are many options out there.
Related: Best And Worst Years For Ford Ranger
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. Is The Ford Ranger A Reliable Truck?
Yes, it is. This has been discussed plenty of times in this article. The Ford Ranger is a pretty reliable truck.
It is one of the most reliable ones in its class, and it even won against all of its competitors. It does have its list of issues, but overall, it is reliable.
Q2. Does Ford Ranger Have A Lot Of Problems?
No, it does not. Apart from minor issues, which are common with all vehicles, all major ones were listed in the article. They are:
- Transmission failure.
- Failure of the torque converter.
- Engine misfires.
- Coil pack failure.
- Engine Control Module issues.
These problems are serious but can be repaired.
Q3. Is It A Good Idea To Buy A Used Ford Ranger?
I think it is a great idea to buy a used Ford Ranger. I recommend that you opt for a used one rather than a new one.
You are saving cash and will not be compromising on anything. The first thing of many that you should check is the mileage. If that is good, then you can proceed.
Q4. Does Ford Ranger Rust Easily?
Frame rust is common with the Ford Ranger. A quick Google search will tell you that many people face this issue. It is recommended to get a rust coating on your Ford Ranger.
Q5. Is Ford Ranger Expensive To Maintain?
The truck has been designed to go a long way. So, the estimated maintenance cost for the first ten years is $10,045.
This is $20 less than the average for other popular trucks. So, it is neither expensive nor cheaper to maintain.
The Ford Ranger is an amazing truck, and no one can tell you anything else.
It is a solid performer, and the question of how long do Ford Rangers last should be the least of your concern. Its 300000-mile limit makes it one of the longest-lasting trucks out there.
The Ranger is a reliable truck, and the fact that it has been in the market for more than two decades means that Ford has worked out most of the kinks.
This makes it a great buy for anyone looking to get a dashing pickup truck that packs performance under the hood.
I am Tahir Azam, and I have been writing amazing articles for TaxiHack for as long as I can remember. I know everything that is to know when it comes to automobiles and is always on top of industry news and developments. While I am not an expert by any means, I pride myself on knowing the ins and outs of many different problems and, of course, their solutions. The articles on our website are some of the best and well-researched content that you will find, and I spend countless hours making sure this remains to be true. This is why I ask you to take your time out and read some of my articles, especially if you find a topic that resonates with you or is something you are looking into. This way, you will find the perfect mix of information and tips on your desired topic. Learn more about Tahir.