Did you know that Ford’s F-150 has been the USA’s best-selling truck for the past four decades?
It has always been an amazing vehicle and has always been ahead of its competition. It is a truck worth considering with excellent payload capacity and towing power.
The Ford F-150 has been around for a lot of time, but the question of how long do Ford F150 last is something that is still asked.
It will be able to last for a long time. It has an expected lifespan of 300000 miles, which is something many of you will appreciate.
The F-150 is a reliable truck that hundreds of thousands of people have tested.
Although there is a lot of information about it, the one that truly matters has been discussed in detail in this article.
So, I suggest you stick around to find out if Ford’s top-selling truck is as good as the manufacturer claims.
Table of Contents
- 1 What Is The Average Life Expectancy Of A Ford F-150?
- 2 Does Ford F-150 Last Longer Than Other Similar Vehicles?
- 3 Life Expectancy Of Ford F-150 Car Parts
- 4 What Is Good Mileage For A Used Ford F-150?
- 5 How To Increase How Long Your Ford F-150 Last
- 6 Problems That Limit The Life Of Your Ford F-150
- 7 What To Look For When Buying A Ford F-150
- 8 Frequently Asked Questions
- 9 Conclusion
What Is The Average Life Expectancy Of A Ford F-150?
The Ford F-150 has a lifespan of a maximum of 300000 miles. This was already mentioned in the introduction.
Did you know that 300000 miles translate to 20 years of service life?
If you are one to not drive for more than 15000 miles annually, like the majority of the people who live in the USA.
Did you also know that the truck’s lifespan is strictly dependent on the type of hardware it uses? Well, that is indeed the case.
This is why you will find a dedicated section further down in this article, where I will be getting into the details of the reliability of the parts and hardware of the Ford F-150.
You should stay tuned for that.
Does Ford F-150 Last Longer Than Other Similar Vehicles?
The first main thing that this article will accomplish is to confirm if the Ford F-150 is as reliable as the manufacturer advertises it to be.
It will be compared with three of its top competitors, which will allow you to assess if the Ford F-150 is better or not.
Let’s get started!
1. Ford F-150 Vs. Chevrolet Silverado 1500
The first big competitor of the Ford F-150 is the Chevrolet Silverado 1500. It is a solid truck and is often compared to Ford’s offering.
Once and for all, let’s see which one is the better truck.
- The Ford F-150 has gathered 5760 complaints over the course of more than four decades. This is not that good as I have seen vehicles with much lesser complaints.
- On the other hand, the Chevrolet Silverado 1500 has gathered a total of 1015 complaints. So, it is a clear winner of this round.
- Reliability is another section in which the Chevrolet Silverado 1500 wins. The Ford F-150 has earned a respectable 79 out of a 100, according to JDPower.
- But the Chevrolet Silverado 1500 beats that by three points by earning an 82. This means it is more reliable than what Ford is offering.
- The only thing in which the Ford F-150 is better is longevity. It can last for 300000 miles, while the Chevrolet Silverado 1500 does not even come close.
- The competitor can do a maximum of 200000 miles, which translates to a quite drastic difference. So, the Ford F-150 is the winner of this round.
Although Ford gained some ground in the final round of this competition, it still could not beat the Chevrolet Silverado 1500.
If I had to recommend one between the two, I would no doubt side with Chevrolet’s offering. It is more reliable and provides owners with a better experience than the Ford F-150.
2. Ford F-150 Vs. GMC Sierra 1500
The GMC Sierra 1500 is often called by people one of the most versatile and reliable trucks on the market. That, naturally, puts it up for competing with the Ford F-150.
Let’s see which one of the trucks pulls ahead.
- It turns out that none of the top competitors of the Ford F-150 have as many complaints as the F-150.
- Although the GMC Sierra 1500 has been in the market for a longer time than the Ford F-150, it has still managed to gather only 1256 complaints, which is a fraction compared to the F-150.
- It turns out all of those statements were true. The GMC Sierra 1500 is one of the most reliable trucks on the market.
- It has a reliability rating of 85, one of the best I have seen. It also trumps the Ford F-150, as well as the Chevy Silverado, by a huge margin. This gives it an even greater lead.
- The GMC Sierra 1500 can do what the Chevrolet Silverado 1500 could not.
- It competes directly with the long lifespan of the Ford F-150, with it being able to last for as long as 300000 miles.
- This is simply amazing. It also shows that the Ford F-150 is not as good as once before.
The Ford F-150 is a solid truck, but the GMC Sierra 1500 overtakes it at every turn.
GMC has made an amazing pickup truck that is more reliable than what Ford offers while being able to last just as long. It is a clear winner between the two.
3. Ford F-150 Vs. Toyota Tundra
The final truck that will be compared with the Ford F-150 is the Toyota Tundra. This is yet another excellent and reliable truck that packs a lot of performance under the hood.
Let’s see if it will follow the trend of the previous two trucks.
- The Toyota Tundra has the least number of complaints out of all trucks that have been mentioned in this article.
- With the total number being 490 only, it has set a huge difference between the Ford F-150. This gives it a clear lead in this round. Looks like the user experience of owning the F-150 is not as good.
- As expected, the Toyota Tundra is more reliable than the Ford F-150 too. It has earned a reliability score of 83, which is pretty good.
- It also beats the Ford F-150’s 79 by four points, a considerable difference. This makes it a winner of the second round too.
- When you search the internet for the lifespan of the Toyota Tundra, some say that it can cross the 200000-mile mark while others say that it can touch 300000 miles.
- The average is 250000 miles, which is lesser than the Ford F-150. This gives the Toyota Tundra a lead in this round too.
As can be seen, the Ford F-150 is not as good as it is made out to be. It is reliable and strong, but the competition is on another level.
The Toyota Tundra has also managed to defeat it in this competition despite lasting for a shorter time.
Life Expectancy Of Ford F-150 Car Parts
As I mentioned early on in this article, a section will discuss the lifespan of the different parts of the Ford F-150. This is the one that was foreshadowed.
I suggest that you read through it completely, especially if you are serious about buying this truck.
Average Lifespan Of Ford F-150 Brake Pads
The brake pads that come preinstalled on the Ford F-150 are pretty good. They have a lifespan of 30000 to 70000 miles, which is as good as brake pads.
So, you can expect the OEM pads of a new F-150 to last for a minimum of 2 years and a maximum of around 4 to 5 years.
These numbers differ because brake pad wear is highly susceptible to driving habits.
If you brake abruptly, the pad will wear down much quicker than when compared to slowing or halting down to a stop.
This is something many people don’t know, and this is why they need to change the brake pads more frequently. Well, fortunately, replacement pads are not that expensive.
You can expect to pay a maximum of $300 for getting new ones and replacing them. That is not bad, considering that they can last for two years.
Average Lifespan Of Ford F-150 Battery
The battery that ships with the Ford F-150 is pretty good too. It can last for five years, which is as good as lead-acid batteries go.
There have been no complaints about it failing prematurely or causing issues. The minimum lifespan of the battery is three years, which is not bad either.
Now, you may be wondering why there is such a difference? Many factors can affect the lifespan of the truck’s battery, but the largest one is temperature.
Whether it be the environment or the engine, high temperatures can significantly impact the lifespan of the F-150 battery.
If you are in the market for replacement batteries for your F-150, I suggest that you get an AGM one.
It is based on a lead-acid design but is far more reliable and is more resistant to temperatures and vibrations. So, it should be your choice for a replacement.
Average Lifespan Of Ford F-150 Tires
The one thing that shines on the Ford F-150 is the tire lifespan. It can last for a maximum of 7 years, one of the best I have seen yet.
Now, this number is not dependent on mileage. Even if the tire is unused, it needs to be replaced after seven years.
As for actual mileage, you can expect the Ford F-150 to be around 50000 miles. This is on par with other pickup trucks in the same class.
If you drive your Ford truck daily, you can expect roughly 3 to 4 years of service life from the tires before the tread is fully worn out.
Replacement tires on the F-150 come in all sorts of qualities. You should stay away from cheap options as they don’t last as long.
You should also buy specialized tires for your F-150 if you live in extreme conditions.
Average Lifespan Of Ford F-150 Transmission
The transmission on the Ford F-150 is another reliable part. There have not been many reports of it failing prematurely.
You must know that whether it be the F-150 or any other vehicle, the transmission has a limited lifespan.
Typical transmissions last for around 130000 to 180000 miles.
In the case of this Ford truck, the lifespan is between 150000 and 200000 miles. This translates to a one-year difference, which is not bad.
Now, the transmission will fail during the lifespan of the truck.
If you are serious about buying it, you should expect a few thousand dollars worth of repair costs to get the truck back in usable condition.
This is something to keep in mind, especially if you want to buy a preowned truck. If you buy one whose transmission is on the cusp of failure, you will certainly not like the extra cost.
Average Lifespan Of Ford F-150 Spark Plugs
Ford uses spark plugs from its own hardware company, Motorcraft.
Their products are pretty good, and the plugs installed in the Ford F-150 from the factory can last as long as 100000 miles.
This is pretty amazing, and the fact that users have had their plugs last for a lot longer means that Ford certainly did not cut costs in the spark plug department of the F-150.
When it comes to replacing the spark plugs on your Ford F-150, I suggest you search for the part number on the original ones and get similar replacements.
If you cannot find those, you should only get platinum or iridium spark plugs. They are as good as the OEM plugs and can last for a long.
It must be noted that all spark plugs must be changed at the same time. If that is not done, then it may result in unreliable performance.
Average Lifespan Of Ford F-150 Key Fob
The key fob that is shipped with the Ford F-150 is a durable one. There have been no reports of it failing on people which is the norm with all fobs, regardless of the vehicle in the discussion.
It is durable and will certainly last for a longer period of time than the truck itself. Unless you lose it, you will never feel the need to replace the key fob of your Ford F-150.
There have been some complaints about the key fob of the F-150 running through batteries very fast. That is not normal and can be due to a variety of reasons.
Low-quality batteries could also be one reason. But it certainly is an issue with some of the fobs. In that case, all you can do is buy some extra spare batteries in case one is needed.
What Is Good Mileage For A Used Ford F-150?
If you are in search of a used Ford F-150, I must say that you are making the right decision.
Although there is nothing wrong with buying a brand new one, a preowned truck comes with the same benefits and no compromises but what about the mileage?
Well, you should not consider an F-150 that has been driven for more than 150000 miles. As the truck has an expected lifespan of 300000 miles, you need time to drive it.
And that will not be possible if it has been driven for, let’s say, 250000 miles.
Another thing to consider is that the transmission may be due to failing if you buy a truck that has been driven for too long.
This is why you should stay on the safe side when buying this truck.
How To Increase How Long Your Ford F-150 Last
The Ford F-150 is a powerful truck, and it runs on gasoline. This is great news because a lot of things can be done to ensure it will be able to last as long as possible.
This section will list down some of the common tips to improve the reliability and longevity of the truck.
- Change the oil and the transmission fluid on time (Check where your F150’s transmission fluid is located).
- Don’t let any issues go unnoticed.
- Get the vehicle inspected every few months. If any issues pop up, act accordingly.
- Check for leaks and pressure drops in the engine.
- Make sure the hardware is not close to the end of its lifespan.
- Rotate the tires every few thousand miles.
These are not tips but, in fact, things that should be done with any vehicle, including the Ford F-150. Many more things can be done, such as not overworking the engine.
But that is something rarely done. Regardless, if you follow these steps, you will be able to make sure that the F-150 will be able to last for as long as possible.
Problems That Limit The Life Of Your Ford F-150
The Ford F-150 is a reliable truck but not as reliable as some of its competitors out there. It has its own list of problems which you should be aware of.
This section will list down the major ones, so you can know what to expect with this truck:
- Failure of the ignition coils.
- Oil leaks.
- The fuel pump becomes faulty.
- Engine running rough.
- Poor fuel economy.
These are some of the problems that can be expected with the Ford F-150. It must be noted that all of these problems do have a low chance of occurrence.
So, your decision to buy this truck should not be deterred by them. I have listed them just to inform you that if these issues occur, you are not the only one.
Related: Ford F-150 Starting Problems
What To Look For When Buying A Ford F-150
If it is viable, I always recommend to my readers that they should buy a used vehicle. Well, the Ford F-150 is another vehicle on that list.
It can last a long time and is reliable enough that buying a used one will not have any drawbacks.
But you should check a few things before finalizing your purchase:
- Check the mileage.
- Make sure the truck has not been in any accident.
- Check the fuel consumption. It should not be abnormally low.
- Check if the engine runs rough.
- If you see smoke rising from under the hood, that is due to oil leakage. You should keep an eye out for that.
- Check repair and maintenance history.
These are some of the things that should be checked to give you a rough idea of how good the truck you are looking at is.
If it has been driven for more than 150000 miles, then you should not proceed with the other stages of checking. You will surely find another truck that will fit the requirements.
Related: Best And Worst Years For Ford F150
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. Is The Ford F-150 A Reliable Truck?
The Ford F-150 is a reliable truck indeed. According to JDPower, the latest and greatest 2022 model has earned a 79 rating, which is pretty decent.
This means the F-150 will provide users with a memorable experience. There will not be many issues, and there is a high likelihood that if one pops up, it will not be very serious.
Q2. Does Ford F-150 Have A Lot Of Problems?
If you have jumped straight to the FAQs section without reading through the article, I have dedicated a section above that discusses the problems of the Ford F-150.
The most major ones are:
- Fuel pump failure.
- Oil leaks.
- Reduced fuel economy.
These are the most serious issues.
Problems such as failure of the ignition coils are present too, but their frequency of happening is in the norm when compared to trucks in the same class.
Q3. Is It A Good Idea To Buy A Used Ford F-150?
I think it is a great idea to buy a used Ford F-150. I have not hidden my recommendation of getting this truck with a few thousand miles behind the odometer.
You should concern yourself with the mileage and some other things, all of which have been mentioned in the article above.
Q4. Does Ford F-150 Rust Easily?
Rusting is an issue that is present on the Ford F-150. Owners have reported significant rust on the underbody of this truck, which may worry some of you.
The main reason is rust can compromise the structural integrity of the truck. It is recommended that you get your F-150 treated for rust to reduce the effects.
Q5. Is Ford F-150 Expensive To Maintain?
Full-size pickup trucks are already pretty expensive to maintain. The average is $936, which is a lot. But the Ford F-150 undercuts that number by $136.
Its yearly maintenance cost is $800, which is definitely considerable. So, technically, when compared with the competition, the F-150 is cheaper to maintain.
This behemoth of a truck is simply amazing. Now, there is no denying that the F-150 is not as good as the competition nowadays.
This definitely does not mean it is not a good truck. It is reliable, long-lasting, and packs a lot of performance.
Did you click on this link in the search for an answer to the question, how long do Ford F150 last? Well, you certainly got more than a simple one-line answer.
If you did stick around till the end, I hope you got all the information you were looking for. Buying the Ford F-150 is a great decision, and no one can tell you otherwise.
I am Tahir Azam, and I have been writing amazing articles for TaxiHack for as long as I can remember. I know everything that is to know when it comes to automobiles and is always on top of industry news and developments. While I am not an expert by any means, I pride myself on knowing the ins and outs of many different problems and, of course, their solutions. The articles on our website are some of the best and well-researched content that you will find, and I spend countless hours making sure this remains to be true. This is why I ask you to take your time out and read some of my articles, especially if you find a topic that resonates with you or is something you are looking into. This way, you will find the perfect mix of information and tips on your desired topic. Learn more about Tahir.