Are you looking to buy a C-segment SUV, a luxury compact vehicle with a long-lasting warranty?
The Acura RDX is the brightest choice; both look wise and financially, the car offers a lot for its outcome.
The Acura RDX has been in the business for a long time. Its durability and reliability are explainable by proof.
The 2013 Acura RDX model was the best-selling model right after its release. It’s well equipped with premium and high-quality interior and exterior.
Moving on, the most frequently asked question about the vehicle is how long do Acura RDX last?
These can easily last around 250k miles – 300k miles.
Some of the first-generation models of the Acura RDX are still on the road with its original parts intact. The average period of the luxury SUV is 15 years to 20 years.
Lastly, if you are looking to invest in a compact and premium luxury SUV, then read the article below for a more detailed description of the vehicle.
Table of Contents
- 1 What Is The Average Life Expectancy Of An Acura RDX?
- 2 Does Acura RDX Last Longer Than Other Similar Vehicles?
- 3 Life Expectancy Of Acura RDX Car Parts
- 4 What Is Good Mileage For A Used Acura RDX?
- 5 How To Increase How Long Your Acura RDX Last
- 6 Problems That Limit The Life Of Your Acura RDX
- 7 What To Look For When Buying An Acura RDX
- 8 Frequently Asked Question
- 9 Conclusion
What Is The Average Life Expectancy Of An Acura RDX?
It’s safe to say that any Acura RDX can easily surpass the 250,000-mile milestone.
Many Acura RDX drivers have assured that even their first-generation Acura RDX models that have covered 300,000 miles still work perfectly with low maintenance.
This is mainly because it’s a luxury compact SUV. Its long-lasting criteria depend solely on its usage.
For a good 15-20 years, you can drag the RDX along with you and probably even after that. The hardware used and its quality will ensure the longevity of the vehicle.
While buying an Acura RDX, some of the best advice is to get it first-hand brand new rather than getting a used one; this will ensure its quality and longevity.
Does Acura RDX Last Longer Than Other Similar Vehicles?
You clicked on this article to ensure you’re buying the best car for your requirement, and the answer to this well-awaited question will be answered in a comparison.
This will give you a general idea of which one is more reliable and suitable for your requirement and the specific criteria you are longing for.
You can see the side by side contrast from longevity to pros and cons and complaints, etc. will be covered below:
1. Acura RDX Vs. BMW X3
The first comparison car choice is the BMW X3 vs. the Acura RDX. Although the BMW X3 has been in business far longer than the Acura RDX, the popularity of the Acura RDX is superior.
But let’s discuss which one is better.
- The selling rate of the Acura RDX is higher than that of the BMW X3, so right off the bat, the RDX wins this category.
- The BMW X3 has more conservative interior specs that set it aside from other SUVs. It offers more high quality and easy user control to the buyer and driver.
- Although the BMW X3 wins in looks, the 2.0-liter engine boasts 272 horsepower 2 and 280 LB-FT of torque 3 of the RDX, giving it the leading role in pros.
- The life span of the BMW X3 is 200,000 miles which overall is a good enough time. Whereas the Acura RDX has a 250,000-300,000 miles rate more than the BMW X3, RDX wins these criteria.
- Both vehicles’ fuel economy gives them an equal ranking, the Acura RDX gets about 22 miles per gallon, and the BMW X3 gets 21 MPG in the city.
- Both vehicles have a seating capacity of 5 seats, giving them an equal rank. The fuel tank capacity of the Acura RDX is 17.1 gallons, and the BMW X3 has a 17m2 gallon capacity, another very similar contrast.
- The Acura RDX has a speed transmission of 10, while the BMW X3 comes at 8; this gives Acura RDX the upper hand.
Although the BMW X3 is an amazing choice and has almost the same features and specs as compared to the Acura RDX, the RDX has been the best seller in the business as compared to the BMW X3.
It’s more compact and luxurious, and people prefer its high-quality specs over the BMW X3. I would recommend the Acura RDX as well.
Related: How Many Miles Will A BMW X3 Last?
2. Acura RDX Vs. Acura MDX
The next very debatable comparison we have is the Acura RDX vs Acura MDX, both introduced by the same company, and the most asked question is which of the two is better?
Read below to find out.
- The Acura MDX body size is larger than the Acura RDX model, as the Acura MDX is a 7-seater car and the Acura MDX is a 5-seater vehicle; size-wise, the Acura MDX wins this category as an SUV vehicle.
- The life span of a vehicle depends on its usage of the car. Old versions of the vehicle are still on the road.
- The life span of Acura RDX is 15-20 years which is in the long run, and this is only if you’ve done heavy repairing to the vehicle; the Acura MDX can last up to 400,000 miles or more.
- The engine of the Acura RDX is a 2.0L Turbo inline-4gas, whereas the Acura MDX once again wins this category with its 3.5L V6 gas engine.
- The fuel economy of the Acura MDX is 19 MPG in the city and 25 MPG on the highway, the Acura RDX as 22 MPG in the city and 28 MPG on the highway; although this win is leading towards Acura RDX, the low difference gives both the vehicles an advantageover the other.
- The fuel tank capacity of the Acura MDX is 18.5 gallons, and the Acura RDX has a 17.1 fuel tank capacity; again, not a huge difference.
The Acura MDX wins this comparison, if you’re looking to buy an SUV with luxury and compact factors, you will first look at its size and specs, and the Acura MDX wins in that category over the Acura RDX.
3. Acura RDX Vs. Honda CR-V
The Acura RDX is well known for its longevity; as we know by now, this compact and modern vehicle, as compared to many other SUVs, is a more advanced option.
Let’s compare it with the Honda CR-V.
- The average life span of the Honda CR-V is 16-20 years and can last between 250,000 miles to 300,000 miles on the road, whereas the Acura RDX, as we all know, can last up to 300,000 miles or more on the road as well, both the vehicles have a similar life span.
- Neglecting can cause the Honda CR-V to barely the last 50k to 150k miles which also is based on pure luck; the car required high maintenance; hence the Acura RDX wins this category for sure.
- The Acura RDX has a 2.0L Turbo inline-4 gas engine, whereas the Honda CR-V has a 1.5L Turbo inline-4 gas engine; a good engine is compulsory for longevity, so the RDX is a better choice here.
- The fuel economy of the RDX is 22mpg in the city and 28 on the highway, whereas the Honda CR-V has 28 mpg in the city and 34mpg on the highway.
- The fuel tank capacity of the Honda CR-V is 14 gallons, whwhereas7.1 for the RDX; tank capacity is also a key factor for a good life span and longevity of a vehicle; hence the RDX is the car to go for here as well.
The Acura RDX wins here; clearly, a buyer always looks for longevity and a long-lasting car; a vehicle is always an investment. The RDX here is the choice to go for.
Life Expectancy Of Acura RDX Car Parts
The life Expectancy of the Acura RDX car parts is guaranteed to last 200,000 miles which is a good 13-15 years without any struggle.
The older versions of this vehicle are still on the road used by many, and the reviews are excellent. 250,000 to 300,000 miles is also guaranteed with nice maintenance of the car.
Average Lifespan Of Acura RDX Brake Pads
The Acura RDX is said to last a good 70,000 miles, but the way you drive and your driving habits matter a lot.
The main advantage of brake pads is that the front ones will wear out faster than the rear ones.
Hence you don’t need to change all four together. This saves us money and time. The way you drive will affect the brake pads’ life span.
50,000 miles is the average life span for the brake pads, so the Acura RDX fits the criteria perfectly.
Average Lifespan Of Acura RDX Battery
The average lifespan of the Acura RDX battery is 5 years maximum and 3 years minimum.
You can make it last a bit longer by protecting the vehicle and not parking in extremely hot weather or colder areas.
Some batteries are factory-made and last up to a fixed life span; during battery change, it’s better to choose a long-lasting battery to last a bit before you have to change it again.
Average Lifespan Of Acura RDX Tires
The Average lifespan of Acura RDX tires is somewhere between 50,000 miles to 70,000 miles that rounds up to 5 years the most and 3 years the least.
The road you drive on has a part to play in the lifespan of the tires.
The rougher the road is, the more easily the tires will wear out, whereas, on smooth roads, the tires will run and work more smoothly.
Another precaution to always keep in mind is to check the tires for air frequently, and if they have enough pressure, unevenness can cause tires to go flat often, which will damage their lifespan.
Average Lifespan Of Acura RDX transmission
The life expectancy of the Acura RDX transmission is 300,000 miles the most, and the least it goes down to is 150,000.
For a higher life span, oiling is recommended every 5,000 miles. The only main complaint that ever came about the RDX is how short lifespan the transmission has.
Hence it needs a lot of maintenance; taking extra good care of the transmission system is suggested.
Related: Acura RDX Transmission Problems
Average Lifespan Of Acura RDX Spark Plugs
The average Acura RDX copper spark plugs last 20,000 miles, whereas platinum spark plugs last up to 60,000 miles, and some can even last 100,000 miles.
Spark plugs are also a crucial part of the engine system, so having a good quality spark plug that can last for a long time without tweaking it every other month.
It’s not easy to tell that the spark plugs have worn out, so it’s better to keep checking on the engine often.
When you’re looking to change or replace your Acura RDX spark plug, the platinum ones are the best options for a longer lifespan and longevity.
Average Lifespan Of Acura RDX Key Fob
The Acura RDX can have a standard key or a key fob, an electrified version of a standard key.
You can easily access your car by pushing a button; this is useful if you’re in a rush or just for everyday use as well.
The lifespan of a key fob is normally unlimited unless you break it or it gets damaged. The Acura RDX key fobs are very convenient and a great investment.
Replacing or changing the key fob does cost a fortune, so if you’re looking for a feature of the Acura RDX that costs a bit too much but offers modernity and luxury, then definitely go for it.
What Is Good Mileage For A Used Acura RDX?
If you are planning to go for a used Acura RDX then anywhere between 30-50k miles is a good investment.
Just make sure not go more than 120k miles when it comes to a used car as this will consider a risky purchase.
How To Increase How Long Your Acura RDX Last
Maintenance is a key factor for increasing the longevity of your vehicle, especially the Acura RDX.
Checking the tires and brakes often to make sure they don’t need repairing or replacing any time soon.
Although the Acura RDX is a low maintenance car, this SUV with compact and luxury factors can be enhanced even further with a bit of care such as:
- Changing the oil properly in timely manner.
- Use good quality repair parts.
- Make sure to maintain its battery.
- Replace the spark plugs when required.
- Keep an eye on oil condition.
- Maintain the service schedule totally.
These are some of the basic factors you can follow to increase the lifespan of the Acura RDX.
Problems That Limit The Life Of Your Acura RDX
Several problems and complaints rose that put a limit on the Acura RDX life span causing; not that these problems cannot be fixed.
It’s more about reoccurring problems that have no solution unless the company decides to upgrade its criteria, such as:
- The sunroof and windshield glass are imploding.
- Suspension of the Acura RDX.
- Failure with the electrical system.
- The car’s tires of not being sturdy.
- Limiting speed control.
These problems seem solvable but are intense; imagine your car’s engine goes off on the road at high speed, or the sunroof shield cannot take the wind pressure and shatters.
These are serious problems that limit the life span of the Acura RDX and prove to be a threat to the driver and passengers.
Related: Acura RDX Starting Problems
What To Look For When Buying An Acura RDX
Buying an SUV is very easy; honestly, you aren’t looking for a techy car, just a good quality compact car for everyday use.
But it’s always smart to know what to look for in a car before buying one; as for the Acura RDX:
- Engine condition.
- Check the acceleration.
- Brakes working and their condition.
- Check the model of the engine.
- Interior of the Acura RDX.
- Maintenance criteria.
- The correct mileage.
If you’re looking to buy a used Acura RDX, it’s better to check every little detail from the car’s interior to the exterior.
Before putting a lease on it, maybe rent the car for a couple of days, and if you’re into sporty-looking cars, the Acura RDX is honestly a great option as an SUV.
Related: Best And Worst Years For Acura RDX
Frequently Asked Question
Q1. Is The Acura RDX A Reliable Car?
Yes, the Acura RDX is a reliable car and a great purchase.
If you’re looking to invest in a good quality SUV with compact luxury features and low maintenance, it comes at an affordable price and offers many great modern features.
Q2. Does Acura RDX Have A Lot Of Problems?
The Acura RDX isn’t as problematic as the smaller SUVs, although the car has sparked some common problems amount buyers, some of the most common ones being:
- The engine causes a loss of acceleration.
- Squeaky breaks.
- Engine cooling.
- Soy-based wiring in the 2015 model of the vehicle.
These problems have been company reported by drivers, but these matters are solvable.
Q3. Is It A Good Idea To Buy The Acura RDX?
Yes, if you’re looking for a compact luxury SUV, then the models from 2013-to 2018 are the best options. The RDX has a more tweaked engine and fuel tank capacity than any SUV.
It’s a very comfortable drive with stable handling during the drive. It also offers modern features such as a sunroof shield and a key fob.
Q4. Does Acura RDX Rust Easily?
If you live by the coast, you are already well aware of the rust problem that arises; in around as late as 4 years or as early as 2 years, you will start to see signs of rust, especially if you live in an area with the outer region.
Q5. Is Acura RDX Expensive To Maintain?
The RDX doesn’t require much maintenance anyways, but if you get car service frequently, it can be a little pricy.
Especially if you re-model your car and add expensive touches, repairing or replacing those would cost a fortune.
And also, because it’s an Acura, it will be expensive to maintain. It can cost you around $500 per year for maintenance.
If you were looking for a detailed article about the life span and longevity of the Acura RDX, then you have this whole article above explaining every little detail.
Any questions that arose in your mind were probably answered in the above FAQs. How long do Acura RDX last, and all such questions related were answered above.
Genuinely one of the best luxury SUVs in the market, the maintenance proposition isn’t even costly, but the car has such an attractive and sporty look.
The best part about an SUV is its spaciousness; the Acura RDX comes with 5 seats and huge cargo capacity storage.
I am Tahir Azam, and I have been writing amazing articles for TaxiHack for as long as I can remember. I know everything that is to know when it comes to automobiles and is always on top of industry news and developments. While I am not an expert by any means, I pride myself on knowing the ins and outs of many different problems and, of course, their solutions. The articles on our website are some of the best and well-researched content that you will find, and I spend countless hours making sure this remains to be true. This is why I ask you to take your time out and read some of my articles, especially if you find a topic that resonates with you or is something you are looking into. This way, you will find the perfect mix of information and tips on your desired topic. Learn more about Tahir.