The first impression of a Volkswagen Jetta would make you want more of it.
The sleek outlook, because of the touch of black in its interior and exterior, coupled with its 17-inch wheels, makes it worth your while.
Its high-resolution digital cockpit display and adaptive cruise control are just a few additions to the long list of exciting features it has to offer.
There is no doubt that the fact that Volkswagen Jetta is worth the extra dollar in your pocket.
However, that does not mean that this car has no flaws. Many users have pondered questions like “Why won’t my Volkswagen Jetta start?”.
This issue might originate for several reasons, but the most prominent ones have been listed below:
- Malfunctioning Car Computer
- Sullied Oil Filter
- Tarnished Spark Plugs
- Disfigured Fuel System
- Impaired Fuse
Now that I have listed all the points of origin for this problem, I will provide in-depth information on these. So, to find out more, keep reading!
Table of Contents
- 1 What Would Cause A Volkswagen Jetta To Not Start?
- 1.1 1: Malfunctioning Car Computer
- 1.2 2: Oil Filter Problems
- 1.3 3: Tarnished Spark Plugs
- 1.4 4: Disfigured Fuel System
- 1.5 5: Impaired Fuse
- 2 Frequently Asked Questions
- 2.1 Q1. Why Won’t My Volkswagen Jetta Start With New Battery?
- 2.2 Q2. Why Won’t My Volkswagen Jetta Start Even With A Jump?
- 2.3 Q3. Why Won’t My Volkswagen Jetta Start But Lights Work?
- 2.4 Q4. Why Won’t My Volkswagen Jetta Start But Cranks?
- 2.5 Q5. Why Won’t My Volkswagen Jetta Start Just Clicks?
- 2.6 Q6. Why Won’t My Volkswagen Jetta Start In The Cold Weather?
- 2.7 Q7. Why Won’t My Volkswagen Jetta Start After I Get Gas?
- 2.8 Q8. Why Won’t My Volkswagen Jetta Start But Radio Works?
- 3 Conclusion
What Would Cause A Volkswagen Jetta To Not Start?
Volkswagen Jetta is a user-friendly car, but it can sometimes give you a headache.
This is because of all the times it bails on you and does not start.
That is where this article comes in to ensure your car is back on the road in no time.
If you think your car is facing similar issues, use the solutions provided to eliminate that problem.
The causes that I have mentioned above have been elaborated on down below.
1: Malfunctioning Car Computer
The computer inside your Volkswagen Jetta is responsible for receiving signals from the sensors, interpreting them, and transmitting messages to your car’s engine and other components.
If anything happens to this computer, your car will not start. A car’s computer can malfunction due to various reasons.
The first reason can be that the sensors installed in the WV Jetta are not working properly. The sensors probably send corrupted messages to the computer, which it cannot decode.
Another issue might be with the wiring around the computer.
If rust or dirt makes its way toward this component of your car, it will not be supplied with the necessary power it needs to operate.
A fuse might be blown near it if the computer’s voltage is too high or too low.
What Should You Do About It?
- The initial inspection will be done by an electrician who will check all your car’s sensors and modules to see if everything is in place.
- You will then connect your car’s computer to different scanners that would tell you exactly where the problem lies in your car.
- Getting the car’s computer fixed can create a bill of more than $1000. Due to this, always make sure that your car’s sensors are not affected by dirt, debris, or leakages.
2: Oil Filter Problems
The oil filter is in charge of keeping the engine oil free of contaminants in your Volkswagen Jetta.
If your oil filter is blocked, it can no longer do its job, putting your engine at risk of breaking down.
An oil pressure alert on your dashboard is the most prevalent symptom of a malfunctioning or clogged oil filter. You might also notice clicking or cranking noises from the car’s engine.
A stuttering engine is also an indicator of a damaged oil filter. However, this sound puts the WV Jetta at a greater risk than others.
You are wrong if you think that clogging an oil filter can only make the oil pressure low.
The pressure of oil might even be high. The engine needs a particular amount of oil to assist it in the combustion process.
Any amount above or below the set requirements can impair the entire process. This would eventually stop the car from starting.
What Should You Do About It?
- When the oil pressure is too high or too low, you will get a warning signal on your digital dashboard. If you show negligence in this case, you will be paying a lot more.
- At times, the oil filter is not placed properly. It is either too loose or too tight, and it does not work efficiently. Make sure you adjust the filter in its right place and tighten the bolts to a certain requirement.
- There might be leakages in the oil pipeline. Inspect it from below as you would not be able to see any leakages from above.
3: Tarnished Spark Plugs
If a spark plug is tarnished or damaged, the combustion process will not start.
If there is no combustion, your car’s engine will not work. If the engine would not work, neither will your car. So, it is all interlinked.
To guarantee that your Volkswagen Jetta is functioning on all chambers, the spark plugs in your engine must be well-maintained and free of damage to the electrodes.
Damaged spark plugs can reduce engine efficiency, and driving with defective or damaged spark plugs can result in various engine problems.
These problems include a low fuel economy, low mileage of your WV Jetta, and irritating noises. Engine misfires are also a cause of concern if the spark plugs tend to malfunction.
What Should You Do About It?
- Do not park your Jetta directly under the sun. This can cause your car to overheat. If the tip of the spark plugs gets overheated, the spark plugs can be damaged completely.
- Make sure to see if there is any dirt in that area. Clean all the dirt and debris, as that can hinder the normal working of your spark plugs.
- In some cases, if you remove the spark plug and clean it, you might be able to use them again.
4: Disfigured Fuel System
The fuel system of a car is made up of several important components. These components include the fuel tank, fuel filter, fuel pipeline, fuel gasket, and fuel injector.
If any of these are damaged in one way or another, the entire fuel system is disrupted.
When the fuel system is disrupted, the engine does not get enough fuel, and the combustion process does not start. Eventually, this stops your Volkswagen Jetta from starting as well.
The fuel tank might get clogged if excessive notorious heavy metals are stored at the bottom.
The fuel tank would make room for a lower amount of fuel, which would directly impact your car’s fuel economy as well.
Moreover, the fuel filter can get corroded as rust makes its way toward the filter. It can also get jammed because of dust and debris contaminating that area.
The pipeline gets clogged when the pipeline carries fuel that is not free of contaminants.
What Should You Do About It?
- If you are trying to get the fuel system replaced, it will take you somewhere between $200 to $1000 to make that happen. You can also purchase a refurbished one.
- If you do not know whether or not the fuel system is the reason behind your VW Jetta not starting, make sure to listen any sound of humming that might be coming from the car upon starting.
- The first thing you need to consider replacing or getting cleaned is your car’s fuel filter. This is the most inexpensive thing to replace or clean in the entire fuel system and usually gets the work done.
5: Impaired Fuse
A circuit is incomplete without a fuse. This is because a fuse would check to see how much voltage or current is passing through the circuit.
Often a short circuit occurs if the current passing in the wires is too high or too low.
Every component of a car requires electricity or current to pass through it for it to work normally.
Fuses are situated next to all these components to ensure that the current that reaches the relative component is adequate.
If the current is too high or too low, the chances of a blown fuse would be high. Every fuse tends to withstand a certain extent of charge passing through it.
It is important to get the blown fuse fixed because until that is fixed; all the other related components of your Volkswagen Jetta would be at great risk.
What Should You Do About It?
- You must attach the right fuse type with the right component. Do not attach a ten amps fuse for a component that requires 20 amps.
- Buying a new fuse for your VW Jetta is not expensive at all. It would only take around $1 to get a new fuse. Take the old one out and replace it with a new one.
- Fuses are usually color coded. You can find out the type of fuse you are looking for depending on the color of the fuse.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. Why Won’t My Volkswagen Jetta Start With New Battery?
The vendor might have scammed you with a low-quality battery which might be hard to adjust.
Moreover, your battery might not even be the issue. The alternator might not be providing the right amount of charge to the battery.
Q2. Why Won’t My Volkswagen Jetta Start Even With A Jump?
The issue then is not with the battery if you are unable to jumpstart your Volkswagen Jetta. You can try checking if the alternator is working smoothly.
You can also consider looking into the electricity supplied to your car. Your car’s wires might be corroded, and some fuse might be blown.
Q3. Why Won’t My Volkswagen Jetta Start But Lights Work?
The lights still working indicate that your car’s electricity supply is still in order.
Make sure to check the different filters and sensors that your Volkswagen Jetta has. These might be stopping your car from starting.
Q4. Why Won’t My Volkswagen Jetta Start But Cranks?
Cranking might be because of the deteriorating integrity of the body of your Volkswagen Jetta.
Another main reason could be the engine of your car, which might be dying out of starvation or because of the battery drainage.
Q5. Why Won’t My Volkswagen Jetta Start Just Clicks?
Clicking might be because of a faulty starter motor or even your car’s alternator.
Many other components may fail, which can be expensive to maintain. You need to look into this issue before things get worse.
Q6. Why Won’t My Volkswagen Jetta Start In The Cold Weather?
When the cold weather arrives, rusting makes its way to your car and all the components that it contains.
Due to this, the filters and wires get corroded and cannot work efficiently to provide energy to the engine.
Moreover, the temperature of your battery might be too low. Make sure your Volkswagen Jetta is heated enough during the cold weather.
Q7. Why Won’t My Volkswagen Jetta Start After I Get Gas?
You must ensure you get the right type of gas for your Volkswagen Jetta.
Make sure to take your car to a mechanic and ask them to see if your fuel pipe has any leakages. If that does not work either, consider looking for other problems in your car.
Q8. Why Won’t My Volkswagen Jetta Start But Radio Works?
If the radio of your WV Jetta is still working, you must divert your attention to important factors such as the ignition switch or the computer not being able to catch the signals being provided by the sensors of your car.
The electrical supply is not to be touched in this case.
So, understanding the reasons behind the question, “Why won’t my Volkswagen Jetta start?” might be difficult, but I gathered all this information to make it easier for you to start using your car again.
Yes, the car stops from time to time, but that does not mean you spread negative word of mouth about it. The features it offers, along with a comfortable ride, cannot be disregarded.
Furthermore, you must always stay alert and prevent yourself from falling into the trap of scammers while catering to the solutions provided.
I am Tahir Azam, and I have been writing amazing articles for TaxiHack for as long as I can remember. I know everything that is to know when it comes to automobiles and is always on top of industry news and developments. While I am not an expert by any means, I pride myself on knowing the ins and outs of many different problems and, of course, their solutions. The articles on our website are some of the best and well-researched content that you will find, and I spend countless hours making sure this remains to be true. This is why I ask you to take your time out and read some of my articles, especially if you find a topic that resonates with you or is something you are looking into. This way, you will find the perfect mix of information and tips on your desired topic. Learn more about Tahir.