If you love to drive and want to take care of your vehicle so it can perform well, you must do everything that can prevent damaging your vehicle.
It might be a routine to clean and wash your car regularly as it can get dirty easily, and so is your engine bay area as it can also get dirty easily and might need some cleaning from time to time.
You may ask, is it safe to wash a car engine?
Well, to be honest with you, yes, it is safe!
You just need to be very careful when washing the area, though, as it can get damaged easily and cause various problems to your vehicle if you do not follow the instructions carefully.
With the thorough research that I have done in this article, I will inform you about the appropriate ways to wash your car without causing any damages or problems to your vehicle’s functionality.
So without further ado, let’s start!
Table of Contents
- 1 Common Things You Should Know About Washing Your Car Engine
- 1.1 How Often Should You Clean Your Car Engine?
- 1.2 How Does Cleaning The Car Engine Affect The Performance?
- 1.3 2 Things You Should Avoid When Cleaning The Car Engine
- 1.4 How To Clean Your Car Engine
- 1.5 Should You Clean Your Car Engine On Your Own?
- 1.6 Car Engine Tips
- 2 Conclusion
Common Things You Should Know About Washing Your Car Engine
When it comes to the safety of your vehicle, you must consider cleaning all parts every once in a while, so they all work perfectly.
When it comes to washing your car engine, it depends commonly on the place you reside and the weather conditions.
It is important to keep in mind that when washing, it is necessary to be very careful so you don’t expose the water to any wires or sensate parts of the engine’s components.
How Often Should You Clean Your Car Engine?
Cleaning and washing the car engine needs to be done with proper care as it is one of the most expensive parts of your vehicle and can get dirty easily.
It is important to note that dirt and debris can stick to your car engine very easily, so it is necessary to check and clean regularly.
Keep in mind that it does not mean you have to wash it all the time. It mostly depends on the area you live in and what the weather conditions are there.
1. Living In Urban Areas
If you live in the urban areas, then these areas have low amounts of dust or snow, which means that you would not have to clean as much often.
It is recommended that you clean your car engine at least once or twice a year. It is also suggested that you try steam cleaning services for better performance.
2. Living In Dry Regions
Furthermore, if you live in the dry regions, then it is common that those areas are dusty, and your engine can contact with a lot of dust pilling up depending on the road trip you take.
Due to this, your engine is at risk of damage and might not even perform well.
This is why it is recommended to clean your engine at least three months a year for efficient performance and safety.
3. If You Have Harsh Seasons!
And lastly, for people who live in areas with harsh seasons such as snowfall and rainfall, then it is common that your vehicle engine might contact with snow or road salt.
This can be risky for your car’s engine as it can damage if not looked into.
It is suggested that you should clean every two to three months and remove that may start building up inside the engine for safety and good performance.
How Does Cleaning The Car Engine Affect The Performance?
Although there is little to no evidence that cleaning your car engine will improve the performance of your vehicle, cleaning sure will improve the efficiency and prevent any damage, so it will be saving you a lot of money from engine repairs and so on.
Moreover, when you clean the engine, it will remove any debris or road salt, which will help in reducing the corrosion.
Spotting The Cracks Or Leakage
It is also important to clean your engine once in a while as it will make it easier for you to spot any imaginable harm that can happen to your engines, such as cracks or leakage, before they can become a huge problem for you.
In addition to that, cleaning will also help you be safer on the road when driving as the engine will not fail, which can lead to accidents or breakdowns.
Better Overall Performance
It will also improve the look of the engine, which will increase the resale value of the vehicle.
It is important to keep a check on them as it will show you the condition of various components, such as plastic parts or hoses.
Lastly, when your car engine is clean, it will also improve the fuel’s performance which will help make your car run efficiently and also save you a lot of money.
2 Things You Should Avoid When Cleaning The Car Engine
When you are cleaning your car engine, it is important to keep certain things in mind so you don’t end up ruining your engine or any other important components of your car, as it can cost you a lot of money for repairs.
It is advised that you should not take your components out too quickly, especially when you have little to no knowledge about where to place them.
You can always watch videos on where to place them or just take pictures beforehand, so you know where to place them again.
1. Do Not Wash Hot Engines!
Make sure whenever you are cleaning your engine, it should be cool as a hot engine can get damaged as it can crack easily.
It is obligatory for you to look for the best cleaning chemicals for your car engine as they can leave a residue or might be too harmful if you apply too much, which can cause corrosion.
Moreover, using petroleum-based cleaners can degenerate rubber and vinyl parts of your vehicle, so it is best to use nonpetroleum-based cleaners for better effects.
2. Make Sure To Remove The Battery
Moreover, it is advised that you should disconnect or even remove the battery before you start cleaning as it enables you to clean in those areas better and prevent water from touching and damaging them.
This is why when cleaning the engines. You should do it with caution so you don’t end up making things worse, and make sure to always follow the proper guidelines.
How To Clean Your Car Engine
Many people prefer cleaning their car on their own whether they are at the car wash or at home as it can also be a fun activity cleaning.
If you are someone who would like to do it by themselves, then it is important to have water hose access at your home so your job can be done easily and quickly.
4 Steps That Are Important To Follow For Safety Purposes
- It is really important to always let your engine cool off before you start the cleaning procedure. Make sure to let it cool for at least 30 minutes because running water on the hot metal can cause damage to the engine as it can contract and crack quickly.
- Make sure that you disconnect both the battery terminals, and it is best if you remove the battery so that you can clean easily and prevent damaging any components that cannot touch the water.
- If you are not removing the battery, then make sure to cover any components, such as the battery, alternator, or distributor, etc., with plastic bags making sure they do not get wet in the process.
- It is also important that you prepare all the cleaning supplies beforehand so the cleaning procedure can be done rapidly and more efficiently.
It is also important that you choose the best supplies as some products might not suit your vehicle and can cause damage.
Here Are A Couple Of Supplies That You Should Get
- Clean towel
- Plastic bags
- Non-metallic scrub brush
- Pressure washer
- Biodegradable engine degreaser
8 Steps That Are Important For Your Car Engine
- Always make sure that you tightly seal the dipstick and the caps of the power steering fluid, brake fluid, coolant, or any other caps so that the water does not mix in with the fluids while cleaning as that can create a chemical reaction that can be harmful to the engine.
- You can start by spraying the biodegradable engine degreaser on the engine and letting it sit there for a couple of minutes.
- Make sure that you are using a non-metallic scrub brush so you can clean all the dirty areas in the engine that are filled with grimes or debris.
It is important to apply extra grease remover on the caps or hoses or the fluid containers as those areas can contain more grimes.
- You can now rinse the engine area using a weak or a slow pressure water sprayer instead of the high pressure as you do not want to uncover the areas that are covered with plastic bags because they are the sensitive parts of the engine. Start washing off from the back and then moving forward.
- Make sure that you wait for the water to evaporate, and then you can use a microfiber cloth that is clean and soft so it will remove water or any grime left.
- After doing the cleaning, you can now remove the plastic bags that were used to cover certain areas. After doing that, make sure you leave your vehicle hood open for at least an hour in order to let everything dry out completely.
- You can now reinstall the battery and terminals into the vehicle; this is if only you removed the batteries but make sure that you do it very carefully.
- You can now test if everything is running smoothly by starting the car and waiting till it reaches its operating temperature. You can either go on and drive or just switch off the vehicle.
Should You Clean Your Car Engine On Your Own?
It can be a fun activity to clean if you know exactly what you are doing. It is also a fun experience as you also get to learn a lot about your car throughout the process.
But should you really do it on your own? Well, it is best that you consult the auto body repair professionals as they have better knowledge about the inside and outside of the car engine.
If you are ever in doubt, it is best to stop the process then and there and consult so they can provide you with the best tips and recommendations for your engine and vehicle for better performance.
They can also advise you on the best vehicle maintenance and engine cleaning.
This is why it is important to clean your vehicle regularly, as it will perform better and increase the life of your engine.
Car Engine Tips
When it comes to your car engine functionality, it is important to follow certain tips and tricks in order to help your vehicle run smoothly and efficiently.
It is also the most expensive part of your car, so it needs close maintenance in order to run perfectly for a long time, so it can also save you a lot of money for engine repairs.
Here are a couple of tips that you should keep in mind and imply in your life, so make sure to check regularly.
- Make sure to change the dirty oil as soon as possible. It is suggested that you change the oil every 7500 to 10,000 miles so that it does not affect your vehicle fuel economy when running.
- Always check for leaks before driving. You can look for leaks when you lift the hood of your vehicles, such as engine oils or antifreeze fluids that you should look for and get it to the mechanic as soon as possible.
- Check your engine coolant as it will keep your vehicle from overheating, so this is a must. It is important to replace your coolant if it gets contaminated for the safety of your engine. You will know this if you see that your coolant looks like sludge.
- Make sure to replace fuel filters, spark plugs, or wires. This is because it will prevent anything building up inside the engine and if you replace the sparks which will keep the engine from burning.
- It is important to let your engine breathe at times, so make sure to clean the air filters from any dirt, so it does not reduce the mileage or increase emission.
I hope this article helped you understand is it safe to wash a car engine.
It is not only safe but also important to always clean the insides and outsides of your vehicle, so you do not face problems driving, and it saves you from paying huge amounts for engine repairs.
You should note that cleaning regularly will not only improve the efficiency of the vehicle but also increase the life of your engine.
It is also important that you follow the accurate procedures and tips that I have listed above for the betterment of your vehicle as well as the functionality of your engine.
I am Tahir Azam, and I have been writing amazing articles for TaxiHack for as long as I can remember. I know everything that is to know when it comes to automobiles and is always on top of industry news and developments. While I am not an expert by any means, I pride myself on knowing the ins and outs of many different problems and, of course, their solutions. The articles on our website are some of the best and well-researched content that you will find, and I spend countless hours making sure this remains to be true. This is why I ask you to take your time out and read some of my articles, especially if you find a topic that resonates with you or is something you are looking into. This way, you will find the perfect mix of information and tips on your desired topic. Learn more about Tahir.