The Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution is still highly dominant in the racing category.
The Lancer was always known as a compact sedan at an affordable price. Although it was discontinued in 2017, people still do not miss the opportunity to buy one.
No matter who buys a Lancer for their use, one question that is asked is: how long do Mitsubishi Lancers last?
This Sedan is capable of touching the 200000-mile mark. That is pretty decent, and it also means that it will last you for more than a decade.
Since you have already clicked on this article, I would suggest continuing reading to find out more. This guide not only discusses the lifespan of the Lancer as a car but of its parts too.
I will also compare it with its top competitors to find out how reliable it is. So, I suggest strapping in for the ride. Let’s get started!
Table of Contents
- 1 What Is The Average Life Expectancy Of A Mitsubishi Lancer?
- 2 Does Mitsubishi Lancer Last Longer Than Other Similar Vehicles?
- 3 Life Expectancy Of Mitsubishi Lancer Car Parts
- 3.1 Average Lifespan Of Mitsubishi Lancer Brake Pads
- 3.2 Average Lifespan Of Mitsubishi Lancer Battery
- 3.3 Average Lifespan Of Mitsubishi Lancer Tires
- 3.4 Average Lifespan Of Mitsubishi Lancer Transmission
- 3.5 Average Lifespan Of Mitsubishi Lancer Spark Plugs
- 3.6 Average Lifespan Of Mitsubishi Lancer Key Fob
- 4 What Is Good Mileage For A Used Mitsubishi Lancer?
- 5 How To Increase How Long Your Mitsubishi Lancer Last
- 6 Problems That Limit The Life Of Your Mitsubishi Lancer
- 7 What To Look For When Buying A Mitsubishi Lancer
- 8 Frequently Asked Questions
- 9 Conclusion
What Is The Average Life Expectancy Of A Mitsubishi Lancer?
As I discussed in the introduction, the Lancer is expected to last around 200000 miles.
That is a big number and translates to around 13 years of usage. 13 years from a high-performing sedan is all anyone asks for.
There is something you should know. The Mitsubishi Lancer’s lifespan is strictly dependent on the type of parts and hardware used behind the scenes.
As I mentioned in the introduction, a dedicated section will discuss them individually. That is a read you should not miss. But, in the meanwhile, let’s carry on with the guide.
Does Mitsubishi Lancer Last Longer Than Other Similar Vehicles?
As promised, this section of the guide will push many of Mitsubishi Lancer’s top competitors against it.
I will be comparing three things: reliability, lifespan, and the number of complaints. This will help you have a rough idea of where the Lancer stands.
1. Mitsubishi Lancer Vs. Ford Focus
The first Sedan that I will be comparing with the Mitsubishi Lancer is one from Ford. The Ford Focus is a reliable vehicle and has been loved by thousands of people.
Let’s see how it holds up against the Lancer.
- Now, this is around where there is not even a competition. The Mitsubishi Lancer has gathered a total of 100 complaints, which is excellent.
- The Ford Focus, on the other hand, has more than 5000. This is a straight-up knockout, and the Mitsubishi Lancer takes a huge lead.
- Next up, I will be comparing the reliability of both of these sedans. Data for this round is being taken from JDPower.
- Well, the Mitsubishi Lancer beats the Ford Focus once again. It has scored an 80 out of a 100, while the Focus is sitting at a 76. This is a clear enough win for the Lancer.
- The final round will see which one can last longer. It has already been established that the Mitsubishi Lancer can be driven for 200000 miles.
- The Ford Focus, on the other hand, can even touch 250000. That translates into a three-year difference, giving the Focus the win in this round.
Although the Ford Focus can last longer than the Mitsubishi Lancer, there is no denying that it still cannot compete with it.
From reliability to the number of complaints, the Lancer is a clear winner, even though it can last for a shorter period.
2. Mitsubishi Lancer Vs. Nissan Sentra
Another good compact car to consider is the Nissan Sentra. This is a reliable vehicle and is spacious as well as comfortable.
But let’s see if it is any good in front of the Lancer.
- Once again, the 100 complaints about the Mitsubishi Lancer cannot be matched.
- The Nissan Sentra has gathered 1100 complaints, which is eleven times more than that of its competition. So, the Mitsubishi Lancer wins again and beats another sedan in this round.
- I didn’t think that any sedan would be able to beat the 80 that the Mitsubishi Lancer scored in terms of reliability. Well, I was wrong.
- The Nissan Sentra takes the lead by earning a very impressive 82 out of a 100. Although it is a marginal lead, it is enough to declare that Sentra is the winner of this round.
- The Nissan Sentra straight-up beat the Mitsubishi Lancer in terms of longevity. It has an expected lifespan of up to 300000 miles, which is in a different league.
- This means that it will be able to last a decade more than the Mitsubishi Lancer, which is simply insane.
Although the Mitsubishi Lancer put up a good fight, it could not keep up with the Nissan Sentra. The experience of owning this Sedan might not be as perfect as Mitsubishi’s offering.
Still, that sacrifice is worth it for getting a more reliable vehicle and one that lasts for a longer period.
Related: How Long Does A Nissan Sentra Last?
3. Mitsubishi Lancer Vs. Subaru Impreza
Another highly-regarded sedan that has made its way onto this list is the Subaru Impreza.
This Sedan has been around for quite some time and has been loved by anyone who has ever owned it.
Let’s put it up against the Mitsubishi Lancer and see if it can beat it.
- The Subaru Impreza is the only Sedan on this list that could come close to the 100 complaints that the Mitsubishi Lancer got.
- It has gathered a total of 300, which is a great number. But still, it could not beat the Mitsubishi Lancer. It did beat the other two on this list.
- Next up is reliability. The Mitsubishi Lancer is a very reliable sedan. It isn’t easy to top it by scoring an 80 out of a 100. And that is true for the Subaru Impreza too.
- It came exceptionally close and earned a 79 out of a 100, an incredible number. But the Mitsubishi Lancer still took the lead in this round.
- The 200000 miles that the Mitsubishi Lancer can achieve is on the lower end of the spectrum.
- The Subaru Impreza can touch 250000 miles, which is excellent. It can last three years more than Mitsubishi Lancer, giving it a clear lead in this round.
The Subaru Impreza came very close to toppling the Mitsubishi Lancer for the first place.
But it could not. Although it can last a considerable time longer than the Lancer, it could not win in the reliability and complaints sections.
So, the Lancer beats another vehicle to become the champion.
Life Expectancy Of Mitsubishi Lancer Car Parts
This section of the article is one that many of you may be waiting for. The Mitsubishi Lancer is a sedan that can last for quite some time.
Although it may not be able to be driven for as long as its competitors, 13 to 17 years of service life is still highly respectable.
That number is only possible with the help of the hardware used under the hood. Let’s check out how good that hardware is.
Average Lifespan Of Mitsubishi Lancer Brake Pads
The brake pads on the Mitsubishi Lancer are not that impressive.
It’s not that Mitsubishi opted for using low-quality ones, but it is because the vehicle design results in them wearing out quicker.
You can expect the brake pads on the Mitsubishi Lancer to last around 30000 miles.
This is one of the lowest numbers I have seen, and believe me, and I have checked out a lot of vehicles.
Thirty thousand miles means only two years of usage, and that is if you drive at the average American rate of 15000 miles annually.
So, some people may need to replace their brake pads very quickly!
Fortunately, replacing the pads is not a difficult or expensive task. You can expect the total replacement cost to be around $300.
An advantage of replacing the pads is that aftermarket ones may be higher quality. This may result in them lasting longer than the OEM ones.
Average Lifespan Of Mitsubishi Lancer Battery
The Mitsubishi Lancer is a gasoline-power vehicle, so it does not need any specialized battery.
So, the manufacturer opted for using a normal lead-acid one. You can expect it to last around three to five years, which is on par with other OEM batteries.
You can expect the battery to last you for around 45000 to 60000 miles in terms of mileage. That is pretty decent because a new battery only costs a couple of hundred dollars.
You may already be aware that a battery’s lifespan can be affected by several factors. This can be temperature or vibrations.
That is why it is recommended that you should opt for an AGM battery. It costs a bit more, but it is worth it.
Before you ask, no, it will not last for a longer period. Instead, it will give you a more reliable experience.
Average Lifespan Of Mitsubishi Lancer Tires
Now, there have been varying qualities of tires of the Mitsubishi Lancer over the years.
The recent models that came close to the demise of this amazing vehicle had no issue in touching the 50000-mile mark.
But the ones released in 2009 and around that time were not the same. Owners reported that these OEM tires would last for around 10000 miles, the lowest number I have seen yet.
You should be extra careful when searching for replacement tires for the Mitsubishi Lancer.
Some cheap options must be avoided at all costs. These may even be worse than the OEM ones present in the 2009 Mitsubishi Lancer.
If you live in extreme weather or conditions, you may need to get specialized tires. Or else, normal tires may not last as long.
Average Lifespan Of Mitsubishi Lancer Transmission
I have some good news for you. The transmission of the Mitsubishi Lancer has been designed to last as long as the vehicle itself.
This means it has an expected lifespan of anywhere between 150000 and 200000 miles. This means it will last for roughly 10 to 13 years.
Now, it must be noted that the life expectancy of the transmission may not be the same for everyone.
You may get more or less mileage out of it. This not only depends on your driving habits but also on your maintenance schedule.
Premature transmission failure can result in thousands of dollars worth of repairs. This should be expected with any vehicle, except for electric ones.
Average Lifespan Of Mitsubishi Lancer Spark Plugs
As Mitsubishi Lancer is a compact sedan loved by the racing community, the manufacturer includes iridium spark plugs.
These are the best ones and can cross the 100000-mile mark. That is pretty impressive, and it also means that you will not have to change the plugs for a minimum of 7 to 8 years.
When it comes to replacing the spark plugs on your Mitsubishi Lancer, many options are available.
You could once again buy iridium ones. They are expensive but worth it. Another option that can be considered is platinum plugs.
These have been designed to last for around 60000 miles, which is pretty decent. These are far better than copper spark plugs, which have a lifespan of only 30000 miles.
So, you should be aware of the plugs you are getting.
Average Lifespan Of Mitsubishi Lancer Key Fob
This section should not even exist. I have reviewed more than a dozen vehicles, and there has not even been one time where the key fob would be of poor quality.
The trend is not stopping with the Mitsubishi Lancer. It has been built with high-quality plastics and electronics, which means it will not fail on you.
In the case of the key fob on the Mitsubishi Lancer, the battery is one thing that needs to be focused on.
There are no issues with it draining too quickly. So, you will have to change the cell once every three to four years.
There even have been instances of people crossing ten years with the original battery.
All in all, the fob on the Lancer has been built to last. It will not fail on you unless you break it. Believe me that is impossible.
What Is Good Mileage For A Used Mitsubishi Lancer?
As the Mitsubishi Lancer has an expected lifespan of 200000 miles, you should not purchase one that has been driven for more than 100000.
The reason for this is that if you buy one that has been driven for, let’s say, 150000 miles, then that specific vehicle may be close to the end of its lifespan, but transmission failure may be imminent too.
So, you should be extra careful of the mileage of the Lancer that you are trying to purchase.
If you are lucky enough to find a 2017 model with less than 80000 miles on it, then I suggest that you should snag that Sedan up without any second thought.
How To Increase How Long Your Mitsubishi Lancer Last
As the Mitsubishi Lancer is a sedan running on gas, many steps can be taken to ensure that it will last as long as possible.
This section will be looking at some of the common ways to make sure that the Lancer can be driven for the maximum number of miles before it gives up on you.
- Change fluids on time.
- Do not overwork the engine.
- Do not overheat the engine.
- Rotate the tires every 5000 miles.
- Make sure that all repairs are done quickly.
- Cheap options for parts and repairs should not be considered.
These are some of the many ways to ensure that the Mitsubishi Lancer will be able to give you that amazing drive experience for as long as possible.
Of course, many more can be done, but these are the major ways.
Problems That Limit The Life Of Your Mitsubishi Lancer
Although the Mitsubishi Lancer is a pretty reliable sedan, there is no denying that it has its issues. Over the years, owners have reported some problems, which you must know about.
Let’s list down the most common ones to get a better understanding of what you are getting into.
- The paint coat may peel.
- Failing cooling system.
- Failure of the transmission system.
- Brake failure.
- Unexpected engine stalls.
These are the most common problems faced by owners of the Mitsubishi Lancer. Problems such as brake failure are serious as there is no other way of slowing down the vehicle safely.
This can result in a serious accident. The same goes for engine stalls. You should be aware that these problems can occur, although they have a low chance of happening.
What To Look For When Buying A Mitsubishi Lancer
On to the final section of this article regarding the Mitsubishi Lancer, I thought it would be suitable to end this article by telling you the main things you need to know about buying a used Lancer.
As it has been officially discontinued, the only way to get your hands on one is to purchase a used one. Fortunately, even if it were in production, I would have advised going the used route.
Let’s see what should be checked to ensure the Mitsubishi Lancer you are looking for is worth it:
- Check the mileage (it should not be above 100000).
- Check ownership history.
- Get details of repairs (if any).
- Make sure the vehicle was maintained in a timely fashion.
- Check for transmission issues.
- Make sure the engine is not overheating.
Although most of these checks can be performed on any gasoline-powered cars, the final two have been chosen for the Mitsubishi Lancer only.
Transmission and overheating problems are common with the Lancer. Before you purchase one, you should ensure that the one you are interested in has not been exposed to these issues.
Other than that, you can go right ahead and get this amazing compact Sedan. You will certainly not regret the decision, regardless of the model you choose.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. Is The Mitsubishi Lancer A Reliable Car?
The Mitsubishi Lancer is a pretty reliable sedan. It has its issues, but people have had a satisfactory experience.
A few models had more issues than the others, but they were certainly not one of the more recent ones.
I have said it once, and I will say it again, the Lancer is a reliable car, and you will enjoy every moment of driving it.
Q2. Does Mitsubishi Lancer Have A Lot Of Problems?
My guide has already discussed the problems that owners of the Mitsubishi Lancer have had to face. No, there are not a lot of problems.
Let me list down the categories they fall into, so you can understand better:
- Cooling problems.
- Transmission issues.
- Brake issues.
- Engine problems.
These are some of the categories in which the common problems of the Mitsubishi Lancer can be placed.
Q3. Is It A Good Idea To Buy A Used Mitsubishi Lancer?
I don’t think this question is relevant to this vehicle because it has been discontinued.
You can only opt for a used Mitsubishi Lancer, and the latest one you can get will be at least 5 years old. But, even if it was in production, buying a used Lancer makes more sense.
Q4. Does Mitsubishi Lancer Rust Easily?
Rust is not common with the Mitsubishi Lancer at all. That said, there have been reports of people complaining that the Lancer rusts prematurely.
These have been isolated incidents and may very well be due to humid environments. So, if this is what is stopping you from buying this Sedan, I suggest you can go ahead and buy it.
Q5. Is Mitsubishi Lancer Expensive To Maintain?
Maintaining the Mitsubishi Lancer is not that expensive. The average annual maintenance cost is $646, higher than the average for other compact sedans.
So, the few extra dollars are worth it. But it should not be forgotten that it brings a lot of performance.
The Mitsubishi Lancer is a great Sedan!
I, personally, have had any experience with it, so I can firmly say that buying it is one of the best decisions you can make.
From the ride quality to its reliability, everything about it is just great.
Did you come for this article in search of an answer to how long do Mitsubishi Lancers last? Well, you got a lot more than that.
I hope that you made the right decision and chose to buy it. If not, then there are some fantastic alternatives available. They have been discussed in this guide too.
I am Tahir Azam, and I have been writing amazing articles for TaxiHack for as long as I can remember. I know everything that is to know when it comes to automobiles and is always on top of industry news and developments. While I am not an expert by any means, I pride myself on knowing the ins and outs of many different problems and, of course, their solutions. The articles on our website are some of the best and well-researched content that you will find, and I spend countless hours making sure this remains to be true. This is why I ask you to take your time out and read some of my articles, especially if you find a topic that resonates with you or is something you are looking into. This way, you will find the perfect mix of information and tips on your desired topic. Learn more about Tahir.