The Chrysler Town & Country is a family minivan that has been in production since 1990.
It has had amazing success and has been particularly loved by families, thanks to its spacious interior and decent drive experience.
Many people ask about this minivan: how long do Chrysler Town and Country last?
If you are interested in it, you will be delighted with the answer. The Town & Country Minivan has an expected lifespan of 200000 to 250000 miles.
That is a respectable number and is one of the main reasons people opt for it as their daily driver.
You might be wondering why a question that needs a single-line answer requires a whole article. You need to know a lot more about Chrysler Town and Country.
This guide will not only be comparing it with its top competitors but will be discussing the longevity of its hardware too. So, without any further ado, let’s begin!
Table of Contents
- 1 What Is The Average Life Expectancy Of A Chrysler Town & Country?
- 2 Does Chrysler Town & Country Last Longer Than Other Similar Vehicles?
- 3 Life Expectancy Of Chrysler Town & Country Car Parts
- 3.1 Average Lifespan Of Chrysler Town And Country Brake Pads
- 3.2 Average Lifespan Of Chrysler Town And Country Battery
- 3.3 Average Lifespan Of Chrysler Town And Country Tires
- 3.4 Average Lifespan Of Chrysler Town And Country Transmission
- 3.5 Average Lifespan Of Chrysler Town And Country Spark Plugs
- 3.6 Average Lifespan Of Chrysler Town And Country Key Fob
- 4 What Is Good Mileage For A Used Chrysler Town & Country?
- 5 How To Increase How Long Your Chrysler Town & Country Lasts
- 6 Problems That Limit The Life Of Your Chrysler Town & Country
- 7 What To Look For When Buying A Chrysler Town & Country
- 8 Frequently Asked Questions
- 9 Conclusion
What Is The Average Life Expectancy Of A Chrysler Town & Country?
As I stated in the introduction, the Chrysler Town & Country is expected to last for 250000 miles.
This is a great number, and when translated, it can be seen that it will easily be able to last most owners for more than a decade.
If you are looking for exact figures, you can expect the Chrysler Town & Country to be usable for 13 to 17 years.
This applies only to people that drive at the average rate of 15000 miles annually. Regardless, you will surely be getting more than a decade of use from this minivan.
Does Chrysler Town & Country Last Longer Than Other Similar Vehicles?
As promised in the introduction, I will be comparing Chrysler Town & Country to its top competitors, which will help you understand better where it stands.
I will be comparing three aspects of these vehicles: the reliability, the longevity, and the number of complaints these minivans have gathered over the years.
1. Chrysler Town And Country Vs. Dodge Grand Caravan
The first minivan that I will be comparing with Chrysler’s offering is the Dodge Grand Caravan. It is an excellent alternative and has been regarded by thousands of people.
Let’s see which one remains standing after this competition.
- The Chrysler Town & Country, throughout its lifespan, has gathered a total of complaints that is just shy of 2000. The Dodge Grand Caravan, on the other hand, is at 1000.
- That is a considerable difference, and given that the Dodge Grand Caravan was released in 1983, seven years earlier than the Chrysler Town & Country, it is a clear winner.
- The Dodge Grand Caravan has scored a decent 73 out of a 100 in terms of reliability. The Chrysler Town & Country, on the other hand, has managed to score a 70.
- These numbers are not particularly great, but the Dodge Grand Caravan has taken the lead in this round.
- The final thing will be talking about is longevity. Both of these minivans go head to head in this round.
- The Dodge Grand Caravan can last just as long and will be able to be driven for 250000 miles. That is great, and this round is the only one where the Chrysler Town & Country can compete with it.
Although the Chrysler Town & Country is a great minivan, the Dodge Grand Caravan is just better.
Dodge’s offering is more reliable and has fewer complaints while last for the same amount of time.
2. Chrysler Town And Country Vs. Honda Odyssey
Next up, I will be comparing the 2016 model of the Honda Odyssey with the Chrysler Town and Country.
The Honda Odyssey is another fantastic minivan, and the fact that it is from Honda makes the buy even more appealing.
Let’s see which one wins this competition.
- The Honda Odyssey has lost the first round. It was released four years later than the Chrysler, and despite that, it has had more complaints over the years.
- It has gathered more than 2800 complaints in its lifespan, more than 2000 that the Chrysler Town & Country got. So, the Chrysler Town & Country wins this round.
- Let’s talk reliability. The Chrysler Town & Country earned a not so great 70 out of a 100 in terms of reliability. The Honda Odyssey beats that number by a huge margin.
- It has scored a 78, which is a highly respectable number. This means it will be considerably more reliable in the long run.
- The last thing we will be comparing is the lifespan. The Honda Odyssey beats the Chrysler Town & Country in this round too.
- It can last for a minimum of 250000 miles, which is the maximum the Chrysler Town And Country can do. It can touch the 300000-mile limit, giving it a clear win in this round.
I think it can easily be seen which minivan is the winner here. It is the Honda Odyssey, and not by a small margin.
It will not only provide you with a longer service life but will be doing it in a more reliable fashion than the Chrysler Town and Country.
Related: How Long Does A Honda Odyssey Last?
3. Chrysler Town And Country Vs. Kia Sedona
The Kia Sedona is the most stylish out of all minivans listed in this article today. It has been around since 1998 and has impressed consumers for more than two decades.
Let’s see if it is only for the looks or practical.
- The Kia Sedona beats the Chrysler Town & Country by a huge margin. It has 234 complaints, which is ten times better than the Chrysler Town & Country.
- This means it has an excellent user experience, and you will not have too many issues or complaints while driving it.
- The 70 that the Chrysler Town & Country scored is very easy to beat. The Kia Sedona has proven that, which has managed to get a 78 out of a 100, putting it in the Honda Odyssey’s league.
- It is much more reliable, which also means that it is more viable in the long run.
- The only thing in which the Chrysler Town & Country is comparable to the Kia Sedona is longevity.
- Both of these minivans have been designed to last for 250000 miles. That is pretty decent and means that you will be able to get more than a decade of life out of both of them.
Looks like the Kia Sedona is a minivan out of the league of all minivans in this article. It is simply stunning, and you will not be able to find a better one out there.
Life Expectancy Of Chrysler Town & Country Car Parts
This section is one that many of you may have been waiting for. This is also the one that is not discussed by other websites out there.
So, how long does the hardware of the Chrysler Town & Country last? This can depend on several factors.
Let’s take an individual look at all of them, so you can know better about what is going on inside the hood.
Average Lifespan Of Chrysler Town And Country Brake Pads
The first thing I will be discussing is the longevity of the brake pads of the Chrysler Town & Country.
Replacing the pads are important as they are responsible for helping the vehicle slow down. If they are worn out, the braking efficiency of the minivan will be reduced.
You can expect the brake pads, on the Chrysler Town & Country, to last between 30000 and 70000 miles.
That is a large difference, and it is because everyone has a different braking style. That can greatly affect the wear on the brake pads.
Replacements are around $300. That cost is not bad because you will have to wait at least two years before replacing them.
Average Lifespan Of Chrysler Town And Country Battery
Next up, I will be talking about the battery.
Although it is a minivan, the vehicle is a traditional one. What this means is that the electronics that are present in the Chrysler Town & Country are simple.
So, no special battery has to be used. The one that is present in it is a lead-acid one. It has a lifespan that is on par with other OEM batteries. You can expect it to last around 3 to 5 years.
You may be wondering about the two-year difference. Well, that is because battery lifespan can be affected by temperature.
Higher temperatures lead to a reduction in the battery’s lifespan. In case of replacements, I would recommend an AGM battery. It provides users with a more reliable experience.
Average Lifespan Of Chrysler Town And Country Tires
Once again, there is nothing unique to see in the tires used by the Chrysler Town and Country.
They are expected to last around 40000 to 70000 miles, which is not just as good as tires on other minivans and SUVs.
If you translate this number, they will be able to last you for three to five years. The difference is due to variations in the terrain on which people drive.
If you want to replace the worn-out tires on your Chrysler minivan, you have to pay extra attention.
Choosing too cheap tires will result in them needing to be replaced once again after 10000 miles.
If you live in areas with harsh terrains, then you need to get specialized tires. Or else they may not be able to last for the advertised amount of time.
Average Lifespan Of Chrysler Town And Country Transmission
Unfortunately, I have some not-so-great news for you…
Unlike some vehicles on the market, whose transmissions have been designed to last as long as the vehicles themselves, the one on the Chrysler Town & Country have an expected lifespan of 130000 to 180000 miles.
That is lesser than the minimum of what can be achieved by this minivan.
All in all, the transmission on this minivan will need a repair or replacement at least once during its lifespan.
If you know anything about repairs, you will know that it is costly. You can expect the fix to be more than a thousand dollars.
Unfortunately, this is the only way to get the minivan back in usable condition.
Average Lifespan Of Chrysler Town And Country Spark Plugs
The spark plugs on the Chrysler Town & Country have been designed to last for 30000 miles.
What this means is that Chrysler probably opted for copper plugs as the OEM ones in its minivan.
Well, these are the worst ones and can only be used for around two years.
When you look for replacement plugs for the Chrysler Town and Country, you should make sure to get platinum or iridium ones.
They have a lifespan of 60000 and 100000 miles, respectively. Although they do cost more, they are certainly more viable in the long term. So, opting for them should be your only option.
Average Lifespan Of Chrysler Town And Country Key Fob
The key fob on the Chrysler Town & Country is something you don’t need to worry about at all. It has been designed to be durable.
This means that it will not fail on you unless you break it. And trust me when I say, breaking the key fob on the Chrysler Town & Country is not an easy job.
The key fob uses batteries and is not one that can be charged. This is actually more convenient due to the fact that one battery will last in the fob for years.
So, the only thing that you need to be concerned about is changing the battery once every four to five years.
That is amazing considering the fact that there these batteries cost a couple of dollars maximum.
What Is Good Mileage For A Used Chrysler Town & Country?
This section of the article is very important!
As there are no new Chrysler Town & Country minivans out there, the only thing buyers can do is opt for ones that have been driven.
Considering the fact that this minivan was last produced six years ago, as of writing this article, it may be a difficult task to find one that has been driven for no more than 120000 miles.
Now, you may be wondering that even if you buy one that has 150000 miles on the odometer, you still have a lot of time left.
What you are not considering is the lifespan of the transmission. It will fail when the vehicle has been driven for more than 130000 miles.
If you are willing to spend thousands of dollars on the minivan as soon as you buy it, then you can go ahead.
If you cannot find one, then you can consider alternatives such as the Honda Odyssey, which are more reliable too.
How To Increase How Long Your Chrysler Town & Country Lasts
The Chrysler Town & Country is a minivan that has a traditional design.
The engine is a gasoline one, and there is no new or unique technology that is being used. This is good news for many people!
Many steps can be taken to ensure that the minivan can be driven for as long as possible:
- Follow a strict maintenance schedule.
- Rotate tires every 5000 miles.
- Keep rust progression in check.
- Make sure that there are no failure.
- Repair or fix all issues without any delay.
As you can see, these are tips that can be followed on any vehicle. So, they can also be applied to the Chrysler Town & Country minivan.
These will make sure that you can touch that sweet 250000-mile number without spending hundreds or even thousands of dollars on repairs first.
Problems That Limit The Life Of Your Chrysler Town & Country
Before you purchase the Chrysler Town & Country, you should be aware of the fact that it has its own list of problems.
It already did not score very well on the reliability scale, so this section is one you should not skip over.
Let’s see some of the major and common problems that owners of the Chrysler Town & Country had to face over the years:
- Excess oil consumption.
- TIPM issues.
- Rough shifting.
- Vehicle shuddering.
- Failure of the rear evaporator.
As you can see, all of these problems are pretty serious.
The least serious out of all these is the oil consumption issue, and that too has the potential of reducing the minivan’s lifespan significantly.
These issues can arise at any time. You should know this because a used one will have a higher chance of getting them.
What To Look For When Buying A Chrysler Town & Country
This final section of the article is an important one.
As buyers, such as you, can only opt for a Chrysler Town & Country that has been driven for quite some while, there are a lot of things you should check before paying for the minivan.
Let me list some of the things that you should not skip through:
- Check the condition of the engine.
- Check maintenance schedule.
- Make sure that the minivan has not been in an accident.
- Test drive to ensure there are no transmission issues.
- If the owner agrees, get a full inspection of the minivan, including the electrical system.
If the owner agrees for you to get the minivan you are looking for to get inspected, then you don’t have anything to worry about.
It will take a couple of hundred dollars, but it is better than spending thousands of dollars on a vehicle that is in no condition to be bought.
Regardless, these checks should be done to have a rough assessment of the condition of the minivan. You should not buy one before doing these.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. Is The Chrysler Town And Country A Reliable Car?
It is a reliable minivan but not too reliable. According to JDPower, the 2016 model, which was the last one, had a reliability rating of 70 out of 100.
That is not great, and you will surely not have a trouble-free experience with this minivan. This does not mean it is a bad vehicle.
All I am telling you is that there are better and more reliable options out there.
Q2. Does Chrysler Town And Country Have A Lot Of Problems?
Unexpectedly, it does not. Hold on! This does not make the minivan qualified enough to buy it.
The issues that it does have are extremely serious and can result in a seriously reduced lifespan.
These problems can be categorized into:
- Engine issues.
- Transmission problems.
- Electrical problems.
As you can see, these categories are ones that can alter the performance of the vehicle.
If you are looking to get more information, then I would suggest reading the dedicated section of problems that is present in the article above.
Q3. Is It A Good Idea To Buy A Used Chrysler Town And Country?
This question is irrelevant due to the fact that the Chrysler Town & Country was put out of commission several years back. There are no other options rather than opting for a used one.
One thing that I will say is that even if it was in production, I would still be recommending that you buy a used one rather than one that has zero miles on the odometer.
Q4. Does Chrysler Town And Country Rust Easily?
Although frame rust has been reported by the owners of the minivan, it did not happen before due time.
What I mean to say is that this minivan will rust at the same rate as any other vehicle.
It will start after a few years of usage, but, according to my research, it will not reach a level that renders the structural integrity compromised.
Q5. Is Chrysler Town And Country Expensive To Maintain?
The Chrysler Town & Country has an annual maintenance cost of $636.
This number will vary from user to user, but there is no denying that it is higher than the average for vehicles in its class.
The Honda Odyssey, for example, has a maintenance cost of $547. That is a significant difference, and the fact that it is more reliable makes buying it more appealing.
Although the name of the minivan is one that makes no sense, you should not take the Chrysler Town & Country as a joke.
It is not as reliable as its competitors, but this does not mean that it is a bad minivan.
In fact, it is a good one! It has proven itself to be worthy, and there is a reason that it was manufactured for more than three decades.
It is my sincere hope that you got the answer to the question of how long do Chrysler Town and Country last?
I also hope that this article may have helped you in deciding whether it is worth investing in or not.
I am Tahir Azam, and I have been writing amazing articles for TaxiHack for as long as I can remember. I know everything that is to know when it comes to automobiles and is always on top of industry news and developments. While I am not an expert by any means, I pride myself on knowing the ins and outs of many different problems and, of course, their solutions. The articles on our website are some of the best and well-researched content that you will find, and I spend countless hours making sure this remains to be true. This is why I ask you to take your time out and read some of my articles, especially if you find a topic that resonates with you or is something you are looking into. This way, you will find the perfect mix of information and tips on your desired topic. Learn more about Tahir.