The Dodge Charger was put out when all automobile manufacturers were putting out various pony cars.
As a result, Dodge wanted to get into the action but released a more expensive, higher-quality pony car.
This led to the first Dodge Charger being put out in 1966, and it has been regularly putting out models to this day.
Despite all these models, the manufacturer still fails to properly create quality and meaningful components.
This has led to various issues which force people to ask why won’t my Dodge Charger start?
These problems can include:
- Key Fob Issues
- Dead Battery
- Alternator Failure
- Starter Problems
- Engine Failure
I will go over all of these problems in this article so that you can understand how to deal with them and how you can detect them.
Moreover, I will also talk about various ways you can avoid these issues in the future.
Table of Contents
- 1 What Would Cause A Dodge Charger To Not Start?
- 2 Frequently Asked Questions
- 2.1 Q1. Why Won’t My Dodge Charger Start With New Battery?
- 2.2 Q2. Why Won’t My Dodge Charger Start Even With A Jump?
- 2.3 Q3. Why Won’t My Dodge Charger Start But Lights Work?
- 2.4 Q4. Why Won’t My Dodge Charger Start But Cranks?
- 2.5 Q5. Why Won’t My Dodge Charger Start Just Clicks?
- 2.6 Q6. Why Won’t My Dodge Charger Start In The Cold Weather?
- 2.7 Q7. Why Won’t My Dodge Charger Start After I Get Gas?
- 2.8 Q8. Why Won’t My Dodge Charger Start But Radio Works?
- 3 Conclusion
What Would Cause A Dodge Charger To Not Start?
Each component must work together to provide a good and cohesive environment for the car to work properly.
Sadly, each component has its issues, and one part of the car always stops working and ends up preventing the entire car from starting.
I will look at the problems these components face in this section of the article.
1: Key Fob Issues
Whether your key fob has no battery or you have simply lost the key fob itself, you will find it very difficult to start your Dodge Charger.
The key fob’s main purpose is to unlock and start the car, containing a transmitter and receiver which send signals to and from the Dodge Charger and the key.
These signals allow the car to start, so if you do not have a working key fob, you might be out of luck.
The key fob is quite fragile, and any damage can prevent it from working. Alternatively, its battery can also die, which can prevent you from being able to use it properly.
Even if you can get a new battery in your key fob, you may have issues as the key fob may need to be reset. This could involve a trip to the dealership and a small fee.
What Should You Do About It?
- If your key fob battery is dead, a workaround allows you to start your Dodge Charger.
- You need to press the Dodge Charger’s start button with the key fob itself.
- While doing so, you must also keep your foot on the brake throughout the time you are doing so.
- If you follow these steps correctly, your Dodge Charger should start without a problem.
- If your key fob still has a battery but does not work beyond a certain range, you can opt to get the battery replaced.
- You could also settle for using the key fob at a closer range.
2: Dead Battery
The battery is one of the most common components in the car, which is known for causing problems.
This is because the battery requires a lot of care and maintenance to remain in working condition.
This makes it a likely part of your Dodge Charger that can grow issues and prevent the car from starting.
It depends entirely on how it is stored and how much it is used, along with how much care is put into it.
The battery is responsible for powering all the electrical components of the car. If the battery does not have enough juice, then your car will not be able to start at all.
You will be able to identify issues with the battery when your Dodge Charger struggles to start and eventually cannot start.
If you think you are facing a dead battery, then here is what you should consider.
What Should You Do About It?
- Conduct a voltage test to confirm whether the battery is in working condition or not. If the result is less than 12 volts, your battery is the cause. If not, then your problem lies elsewhere.
- Once you have confirmed that the battery is the issue, you should check how old the battery is. This will determine the next step you should take.
- If the battery has been purchased recently, your best bet is to get it jumpstarted.
- Finally if the battery is old, around 4 to 5 years, then it is likely that the battery has lived its entire life and now should be replaced.
3: Alternator Failure
The alternator is another crucial component in many cars that seem to have many issues.
Various reports state that the alternator is just behind the battery, the biggest reason why cars generally do not start.
The same seems relevant for the Dodge Charger, which has had a major history of alternator failure since around a decade ago.
The job of the alternator is to make sure that the battery is kept charged at all times.
This is done by taking the engine’s mechanical energy, converting it into electrical energy, and sending it to the battery.
As I have emphasized above, if the battery does not work, then your Dodge Charger will not be able to start, which is why the alternator is a very integral component.
In many cases, people think the battery is the issue when in reality, the alternator cannot charge the battery, which results in it losing its charge.
What Should You Do About It?
- Start timing how long your batteries last between jumpstarts. Your alternator is at fault if it cannot last more than a day.
- Inspect the alternator and its surroundings and look for any signs of damage.
- Also, look for any frayed wires, rust, or corrosion.
- If you spot any and think you can fix the issue, go for it, but if you are not confident in your abilities, you should visit a mechanic.
- If you do not see any issues, instead of taking the alternator apart, visit a mechanic and have them get it fixed.
4: Starter Problems
Another major issue surrounding the Dodge Charger is that your starter system frequently has issues.
These issues are very serious if you want to drive your Dodge Charger simply because if you have any trace of issues with the starting system, your car will not be able to start.
As the name suggests, the starter’s job is to get the car running. This happens when you turn on the ignition which engages the starter motor.
This motor is responsible for making all the parts of the engine move according to how they need to.
A failed starter or a failed starter motor will prevent the engine from cranking and will not let it turn over.
What Should You Do About It?
- Inspect the starter area and look for any visible damage.
- Also, look for any loose wires or oil leaks that you should patch up, and then try to start your Dodge Charger.
- If it is still unable to start properly, it is in your best interest to get help from a mechanic.
- Have the mechanic inspect the starter system and carry out the necessary fix.
- If the starter has a part that needs to be fixed, it is sometimes better to get it replaced rather than fixed.
- This will be more efficient and economical than fixing the part. It will save you from issues in the future as well.
5: Engine Failure
Another huge problem that affected the Dodge Charger, especially the 2006 model, was engine failure.
This problem would fester until the 2008 Dodge Charger leading to 3 years of engine failure for the Dodge Charger.
It is one of the main reasons why that particular model is the worst in the entire lineup. Excess oil consumption would start the issue, and the engine would start to seize up.
People often hear ticking noise from the engine and notice stalls and shutdowns while driving the car. Eventually, the engine would start knocking, and it would fail entirely.
What Should You Do About It?
- Keep an eye out for any issues with the engine. If you feel you are developing any issues with the engine, you should visit the mechanic as soon as possible.
- Engine failure is a very dangerous problem, especially if it occurs while you are driving.
- If you think your car has a bad engine, you should not drive your Dodge Charger.
- The only way to fix engine failure is to get a new engine.
- This will be a very expensive replacement, but unfortunately, most of the time, there is no other alternative.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. Why Won’t My Dodge Charger Start With New Battery?
If you have installed a new battery in your Dodge Charger, but it still does not work, then you have likely not installed it properly.
Ensure it is installed correctly and there are no unconnected wires or issues.
Also, ensure the car’s electrical system is in working order.
Q2. Why Won’t My Dodge Charger Start Even With A Jump?
If your Dodge Charger is not starting with a jump, you should check if you are doing it right. Chances are you are just not connecting the wires properly.
If everything is in order, this must mean that the issue is not with the battery; instead, you have problems with another system.
Q3. Why Won’t My Dodge Charger Start But Lights Work?
The most likely reason is that your battery does not have enough power to start the Dodge Charger.
It can, however, start the interior lights, which do not require a lot of power. To fix this issue, you should get a new battery or opt to jumpstart your battery.
Q4. Why Won’t My Dodge Charger Start But Cranks?
If your car is cranking, the electrical system is working fine. However, your Dodge Charger may have some issues if it does not start beyond this.
These issues can range from the ignition to the starting system and can be hard to pinpoint. This is why you should have the Dodge Charger checked out by a mechanic.
Q5. Why Won’t My Dodge Charger Start Just Clicks?
Clicking signifies an issue with the electrical system of the car. Not only is this difficult to pinpoint, but it is also very hard to ignore.
If you face this issue, having an experienced mechanic look at your Dodge Charger and see what electrical component needs fixing is best.
Q6. Why Won’t My Dodge Charger Start In The Cold Weather?
The cold weather has many adverse effects on the Dodge Charger. These effects span the battery, the spark plugs, the oil, and even the engine.
With all these major components being negatively affected, you will find it difficult to start your vehicle, which is why you should always keep your car away from the cold.
Q7. Why Won’t My Dodge Charger Start After I Get Gas?
If your Dodge Charger has a full tank and is still not charging, you might have to look for fuel blocks or leaks.
They might be preventing the engine from getting the fuel. Alternatively, the issue could be in the electrical or the ignition system, so have those checked out.
Q8. Why Won’t My Dodge Charger Start But Radio Works?
The radio also does not require a lot of power to start. This is why even low-powered batteries can start it but not the engine.
Once again, you can opt to get your battery jump started if it has been recently purchased. If it is old, then you should consider getting it replaced.
The Dodge Charger is a pretty great pony car and signifies true American muscle. This is why many Americans and international audiences gravitate toward the lineup.
Sadly, this lineup does have its issues, as I have discussed in this article, and with the amount they are present sometimes, you will have to ask, “Why won’t my Dodge Charger start”.
Luckily you should be able to identify the main issues present in your car with the help of this article. Doing so gives you a firm idea of what to do and how to do it.
I am Tahir Azam, and I have been writing amazing articles for TaxiHack for as long as I can remember. I know everything that is to know when it comes to automobiles and is always on top of industry news and developments. While I am not an expert by any means, I pride myself on knowing the ins and outs of many different problems and, of course, their solutions. The articles on our website are some of the best and well-researched content that you will find, and I spend countless hours making sure this remains to be true. This is why I ask you to take your time out and read some of my articles, especially if you find a topic that resonates with you or is something you are looking into. This way, you will find the perfect mix of information and tips on your desired topic. Learn more about Tahir.